2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Chaeto in new tank  (Read 1778 times)

Offline recklessop

• Fry
Chaeto in new tank
« on: January 21, 2012, 20:45:08 »
I have a small five gallon tank that has been running for about 2 weeks, and has high nitrates and nitrites... no ammonia yet. Would Chaeto live ok in this tank? My main tank needed trimmed and i figured i would toss it in there since it needs nitrates anyhow and its not a huge deal if it dies but i thought i would ask so i know what to expect.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
Re: Chaeto in new tank
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 22:46:28 »
Wouldn't hurt, and it might soak up some of those nitrates, assuming you can keep it lit well.

Offline recklessop

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 12:47:09 »
After posting that i googled a little more and found that most people say its ok to do, so we will see.

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 13:02:42 »
Wouldnt the high nitrates be part of the cycling process.  Removing/lowering it wouldn't that throw off the cycle process?
Don't know for sure just my guess.
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 15:29:46 »
Cheato should do fine. Sounds like your mid way through the cycle since the Ammonia is being converted to nitrites and nitrites beginning to be converted to nitrate.

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 17:03:58 »
If your showing Nitrates and Nitrites you shouldn't show Ammonia.  As Ammonia breaks down it turns into Nitrites then as the Nitrites break down even farther they turn into Nitrates.