2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: new tank  (Read 2873 times)

slandis3

new tank
« on: August 20, 2006, 18:44:21 »
When i set up my new tank i want to keep alot of sps corals in it. I am also going top set up a frag tank to go along with it. Anyone have some tips on water quilty? I know the water needs to be above the averge reef tank. Im going to use a 40 gallon breeder for my far tank and a large mud sump.

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
Re: new tank
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 18:55:35 »
lots of water circulation

tank water about 82-84 i think

good lighting, MH preffered or high quality T5

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 19:19:16 »
Slandis-  A good starting point would be to review the SPS FAQ by James A. Fox on Reef Central.  I provided the link below. 

http://www.reefcentral.com/modules.php?s=&name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=5

Here are a few key points to consider from the FAQ  as well:

How long after initially setting up the tank, should I wait before adding SPS?
  In my experience, these types of coral require a more mature, well-established system.  After the initial nitrogen cycle, there will be multiple algae growth phases.  Once you get beyond this, you should be able to safely introduce your first coral.  This timetable usually falls between the first six to twelve months.  Although it’s been said many times, it’s a saying well worth repeating…nothing good happens quickly, when it comes to reefkeeping.  Be sure to gradually introduce coral to your system.  Do not try to add a box of coral all at once, especially with smaller aquariums (less than 120 gallons).  Allow time for your tank to adjust to the increased bio-load after each addition.

Do I need metal halide lighting?  Personally I am a great fan of halide lighting, so my opinion is biased.  When approached with this question, I recommend 250w halides minimum, with 400w halides being all the better.

What about water parameters (salinity, calcium, alkalinity, phosphate, nitrate, etc.)?  Obviously nitrite and ammonia should be undetectable.  Nitrate should be as low as possible (<10 mg/L).  Phosphate should be <0.04 mg/L, as anything greater will promote nuisance algae growth.  Salinity should be maintained at 35 PPT (~1.026).  Temperature is currently a subject of hot debate.  Many people have successfully maintained aquariums at ~77°f (25°c), others at 84-86°f (~29-30°c).  I will not get into this debate here.  However, I maintain my aquarium at 82°f (27.8°c) with great success.  For calcium and alkalinity natural saltwater levels (NSW) should be your goal (420 mg/L Ca, and 2.9 mEq/L (8° dKH) alk {TMCRA Vol.1 Fossе and Nilsen 1996}).  To encourage coralline algae growth, I like to maintain an elevated alkalinity level.  Levels as high as 3.6-4.3 mEq/L (10-12° dKH) should be fine.

How much water motion and what type are needed?  Coral use water flow (most importantly) for gas exchange, to remove waste, and to bring food.  Without this, the coral could easily suffocate or starve.  Consider these coral are normally exposed to crashing waves, strong currents and/or tidal flows.  For these reasons, since it is virtually impossible to duplicate this situation within the confines of an aquarium, I believe you can never have enough water movement.  Volume and alternating motion of flow are (in my opinion) equally important.  As with light, the more you provide the better.  However, you do not want to aim (for example) a power head directly at the coral.  Let indirect motion create the needed flow.

Offline verper

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 20:11:47 »
Good info.  You cannot rush SPS.

slandis3

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 00:39:35 »
ok its a custom tank ( i will get pics sometime)  its 5'4" long x 24" wide x 30" tall. I am thinking of 2 250 mh with 4 - 4' vhos.  the tank has the overflows on one end of the tank. it was built to be viewed from both sides.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 00:16:10 »
Slandis - It is also highly recommended that you set up a QT for all SPS corals to prevent infecting your reef with red bugs, nudibranchs, and acro eating flat worms. There are numerous threads on Reef Central, Reef Frontiers and other sources that discuss in detail how these pests can wipe out or harm your SPS corals unless you follow proper quarantine procedures for all aquatic inhabitants, including corals and invertebrates. Click on the hyperlink below for a brief overview about this problem.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=16&cat=1988&articleid=3354

slandis3

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 01:42:17 »
thanks for another very informative web site. now on the qt, how do you set it up?. By that i mean filtration, lighting. etc

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 08:56:32 »
thanks for another very informative web site. now on the qt, how do you set it up?. By that i mean filtration, lighting. etc

Just like you would set up an SPS tank (IE, intense light, high flow, and proper water parameters). Perhaps you could turn your frag tank into a QT?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 09:01:29 by aquavista99 »