2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: PAR readings for general SPS reference  (Read 9075 times)

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
Re: PAR readings for general SPS reference
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2011, 23:35:17 »
why are you going to get rid of the rock and sand  if you did that the tank will cyicle again
Dave, I never had any kind of cycle in my tank from day one.  Something, anything in the way of a cycle would be nice.  The Pukani is a possible source of issues and so is the sand.  In my case, more like parking lot gravel.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2011, 01:48:19 »
Well when u throw it out I will take it
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2011, 10:49:29 »
Test kit wasn't bad, its just that I got the same reading that Lazy got, but my take on the instructions was different.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2011, 10:50:26 »
Well when u throw it out I will take it
The sand or the rock?

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2011, 13:00:06 »
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2011, 19:48:20 »
I have one clean 5 gal bucket of white crushed coral.  Trade me for something?  The rock will go to Gerbers for a trade towards a kole or purple tang.  It's about 50 lbs.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2011, 20:01:11 »
i have a green chalice or a fresh cut wild acro
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2011, 21:17:14 »
I'll hold the sand for you, Dave, it's yours.  We can talk about the trade later, as I just re-did the tank today and it's gonna take a day for it to warm up.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2011, 21:18:54 »
cool
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 12:23:27 »

Bottom line:  LEDs can put out the PAR and can grow corals great.  But i do think there are alot of slimy forgien companies that are playing up this PUR, while discounting PAR, Because they are using cheap knock off LEDs and charging premium.  Also, with good blue LEDs you can probably keep good color on corals for awhile without hitting them with enough PAR to reach photosaturation (thus allowing maxium nutrition via zooanthelle).  Stick to quality LEDs, manufacturers, check your PAR, and ensure you acclimate to the LEDs.  They can be very focused and you may get more of an average PAR reading while a coral is direcly in the "beam" of an LED and gets fried

Light is light, Photons are photons, radiation is radiation.

I agree 100%. Orphek is discrediting PAR mainly because the LEDs they are using are their own, "specially formulated". Building up some Hype over nothing. So they need to find a way to sucker someone into buying their $900 60 led system. Though their system is mainly desined for deep waters.

My corals have been happy at 250-300 PAR, when i ramped them up to 350, they werent too happy 3 days later.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2011, 21:09:24 »
I agree 100%. Orphek is discrediting PAR mainly because the LEDs they are using are their own, "specially formulated". Building up some Hype over nothing. So they need to find a way to sucker someone into buying their $900 60 led system. Though their system is mainly desined for deep waters.

My corals have been happy at 250-300 PAR, when i ramped them up to 350, they werent too happy 3 days later.
That's why I am putting my money on your design/hard work as far as LED's go! I haven't personally looked at your set up but from what I have seen it the best design around for the money

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2011, 22:11:41 »
Myself and Chromulux, (Andy) both run Orphak and up to my old Led's they are second to none!!.  A little pricey but what isnt in this hobby, you get what you pay for!!

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2011, 22:16:04 »
Myself and Chromulux, (Andy) both run Orphak and up to my old Led's they are second to none!!.  A little pricey but what isnt in this hobby, you get what you pay for!!

How long have you had them?