2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: So now what?  (Read 4039 times)

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
So now what?
« on: September 10, 2012, 22:53:09 »
As many know, I've been fighting a systemic p04 issue in the tank.

After adding a CADLights conic reactor and biopellets 2 weeks ago, problems went down somewhat, but p04 was still up at around .05ppm and algae everywhere.  Added two 20" vertex reactors external to the sump, 700ml of Brightwell p04 Xport to one reactor (basically chunk GFO) and 5 lbs of Kent pelletized GAC.  N03 and p04 levels are now flat zero. Clams and some LPS not too happy, but I still have algae.  How long in this condition before a true dieoff of the algae occurs?  We are talking bryopsis and GHA, and a little reddish brown stuff on the sand.  Not cyano.

Every day the SPS's are returning to health, which is amazing.  My wellsy is not happy, but is weak from taking a lashing from one of the BTA's.  My knuckle coral disappeared... hmm.  who knows.  Always had a mind of its own anyway.

Thoughts?

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Neogenesis

Re: So now what?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 23:03:22 »
Bryopsis....good luck.  What your doing won't kill it.  I had more luck with LARGE water changes than running GFO.  I also found that my RO/DI filter wasn't putting out 0 TDS water.  Once I corrected the Ro problems, did around a 100+ gallons of water changes,  it took around 2 to 3 weeks before I really started seeing the nasties in my tank recede now I'm around 6 weeks or so and it's completely gone.  The tank is in absolute pristine shape.

As far as Bryopsis, too many coral were suffering from the high MAG I was running trying to kill it.  I was lucky and kept 95% of it contained to my frag tank.  Would love to b**ch slap the moron who passed it to me at the previous swap.  Anyway.....ended up draining the frag tank, pitching a bunch of frags, and sanitizing everything to make sure it was gone.

That was my experience anyway.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 10:54:20 »
I'll hold him down so you can slap the bejeezus out of him...
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 16:23:44 »
I would say give the tank some time since you are running the gac and xport. Large water changes, lower feedings. I rid my tank of bryo with Kent tech-m by raising mag slowly each day. Takes a long time for the mag to work but when it does the bryo will melt away. I now maintain my mag levels with the tech-m. I did smoke my tank with this treatment, but I am all smiles now. I was fighting the dreaded weed for a couple years. I would not recommend a mag level over 1600. It just takes time to work and being the impatient person I am I wanted it to go away overnight and ran my levels over 2000ppm.  It can take weeks to months and you will suffer some casualties. On the other hand, you could tear down, throw away everything in the tank, muratic acid wash of everything and start over. I tried everything short of tearing down and starting over. The mag treatment was the last straw and luckily it worked for me.
Chromiumlux

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 16:28:40 »
I'll hold him down so you can slap the bejeezus out of him...

Deal.....and unfortunately there are at least 2 users on frag swapper with visible bryopsis on their frags.  Makes me wish there was a way to flag them to warn other users not to buy their stuff.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 18:34:01 »
poor bleach and walk away
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 18:40:01 »
We have been spreading the word here on Ohio Reef. My question now is, if you see someone buying from that person, do you say anything? I am NOT one to start confrontations. But if it where me I would want someone to tell me.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 19:00:01 »
poor bleach and walk away

I agree. Not sure bleach even kills that stuff.....lol
Chromiumlux

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 20:14:37 »
I am NOT one to start confrontations.

I am where the health of my tank is concerned.  I agree with Hunger's avatar - mess with my tank and I'll put something on you Clorox won't take off.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 20:17:29 »
lower feedings.

If I feed any less I'll start seeing my LED's through my fish.  I think my poor cleaner shrimp is literally starving to death.

Since using the XPort and the large reactors, my nems have really opened up and have never looked better.  Also, two acros I thought were dead have color now...

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 20:18:27 »
I would do the confrontation privately not publicly
Chromiumlux

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 20:39:22 »
dogpound and bbaz123456 are the two users I've seen have it.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 20:53:18 »
I don't get why anyone would sell a frag that has something like that. Let alone post it so blatantly.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 21:04:07 »
Be succinct.  "Do you have any frags that don't have (insert name of nuisance or pest here) on them?"

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 21:14:27 »
Uh Ohhh....looks like I may have to cancel a reservation.
Chromiumlux

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 21:31:12 »
be sure to drop him a note and let know know why  :nervous:

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 21:35:25 »
Was a good lookin purple millie too!
Chromiumlux

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 21:37:29 »
ask for a loose cut frag.....would be safer than if it was mounted to something

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 21:39:29 »
They both had a few good looking frags. But is it worth the risk?

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 21:41:19 »
Not even considering it any further. Not after what I been through.
Chromiumlux

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 21:42:29 »
I wouldn't risk it again unless I had a totally separate frag system.  Mine is plumbed into the rest of my setup.  I threw away more than a few hundred $$$ in coral ridding myself of it.  BTW andy, when I frag my chalices up, you get first dibs if you want any, seeing most of them came from you anyway.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 21:50:48 »
I wouldn't risk it again unless I had a totally separate frag system.  Mine is plumbed into the rest of my setup.  I threw away more than a few hundred $$$ in coral ridding myself of it.  BTW andy, when I frag my chalices up, you get first dibs if you want any, seeing most of them came from you anyway.

I will take you up on the chalices. I miss them.
Chromiumlux

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 21:51:37 »
Hey, I think we just hijacked Kattz' thread......whoops!
Chromiumlux

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 22:02:20 »
Sorry for the hijack!!!  I got a little carried away.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 19:18:09 »
's ok.  Buy my 210g and we'll consider us even... :whistle:

Offline jeblin

• Adult
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 18:41:09 »
Be succinct.  "Do you have any frags that don't have (insert name of nuisance or pest here) on them?"

Yes, but what do you say when he says "Yes, I do, here let me get them"....if its on some frags, its on all his frags...you just won't visibly see it yet ;-)