2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: dori has a little bit of ich  (Read 4104 times)

Offline Travis8896

Re: dori has a little bit of ich
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 19:39:53 »
Thank you Larry I learned a lot by reading those but I am still troubled by 1 problem and that problem is that I do not have a qt big enough for all my fish.

I need to find someone with a qt big enough for all my fish and see if they would let me borrow it or qt my fish for some kind or fee or trade.

Do you know anyone with a qt that I would be able to do that with and it be big enough to hold all my fish?
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 22:35:43 »
Still looking for someone with an established qt system the 2 tangs are already in a qt system but I have to get the rest of fish in a qt soon
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline volcano

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 22:39:51 »
Before you spend the money, please jump over to Reef Central in the Disease Forum and read the stickies posted by Steve Norvich (Snorvich) as this parasite has a well documented life cycle. There is tons of information written on what works, and 3x as much faulty info floating around about how to "manage" Ich.

If your fish has ich, then your system has ich as well.

If you want to cure it for good, you need to QT the fish with Hypo, Cu, or Tank Transfer method and let the tank run fallow for 8 weeks.

It sucks, but I have "been there done that" and re-booted my 180 system last year after a horrible outbreak of Ich. I treated the survivors for 4 weeks with Cupramine at .4ppm, left them in a QT tank for an additional 5 weeks and ran the 180 empty to starve all the Ich because there were no fish hosts.

I know many choose to add cleaner shrimp, Kick ich, cleaner wrasses, UV, etc.....all of which are a band aid.

What you see a cleaner shrimp picking at is actually the scar tissue after the parasite burst through the epidermis of the fish. The parasite is already burrowed in the sand waiting to hatch hundreds of new tomites to infect your newly added and stressed fish. UV is fine, but it only kills what runs through the filter.....the parasite lives in the substrate for the most part and since fish sleep in the same spot every night, that is why they tend to wake up infected and in worse shape than when they went to sleep.

If you wish to keep any of the tangs with a drier skin and less protective slime coat, you will likely see the parasite on your fish as the life cycle repeats unless you treat it for good. You may see the symptoms disappear as the life cycle progresses, but you are only a power failure, new addition (IE- Stress), or other trigger to cause a massive outbreak.

Education about this parasite can save a lot of heartache (and dollars) in this hobby. Hope the links on RC help.

Larry

I have seen a lot of Ich problems with keepers here and I too have been directing them to those stickies.   Excellent info you offered to Travis!

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 22:47:35 »
It was very helpful Info it is what made me.decide to pull all fish to clear the tank but I need a second established qt tank or I have to wait on the one to cycle

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 09:18:26 »
You don't need a cycled tank I started a brand new tank for qt just a week ago because I'm doing hypo on all my fish. And you should be checking for ammo everyday and doing water changes almost every day or every other day. All my fish are doing great and have not seen any ich since sg reached 1.008 and I do see ammo about every other day so I do 5 gallon changes everyday.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2013, 09:26:58 »
What cycles in a tank is not the water. It is the sand, rock, ect you put in the tank. When I set up my qt, I use water from a large water change out of my tank. Add fresh water to and a powerhead or 2 to get the proper salinity. Add fish. Qt tanks can be made out of anything. Those large tubs from Walmart, a brute trash can ect work good. Pylon a filter on it & do regular water changes. I think sometimes we make things in this hobby more difficult than it really has to be. And our fish are way tuffer than way give them credit. I know I do the same.

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2013, 09:40:51 »
Charlie how big is ur qt? And Joe I have a 30 gallon tank to use 

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2013, 10:03:37 »
Its a 28gallon cube. And I have 2 tangs 3 damels 2 gobys and a royal gramma in there and its already starting to cycle its self well I can do changes only about every 3 days now before ammo starts to show.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2013, 10:57:59 »
Ok thanks for the info I'll be setting my 30 up tonight or tomorrow