2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: What's wrong with my brain ???  (Read 8029 times)

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
Re: What's wrong with my brain ???
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 20:18:30 »
Can you post your KH and Ca values? The number of drops don't represent the levels.
It is really tough to pinpoint the problem, could be many things. In addition to what others have suggested I will throw a couple of things out and let us know if any seem feasible

1.) To much light
2.) Stung by another coral
3.) Temperature fluctuations or to hot in general
4.) Depressed Alkalinity
5.) Placed near or on sharp rocks and when expanding damaged its tissue or underside leading to Bacterial infection

Ditto on all of the above.

My thoughts would be Alk, or PH. More likely Alk.

And it sounds like to test kits are WAY outdated, or you made an error. 36 drops is 720 calcium, and if your alk is 4? I don't even know if thats possible.

Get me a sample, and bring it straight here. I will get it tested for you with upto date kits.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 20:41:13 »
Ditto on all of the above.

My thoughts would be Alk, or PH. More likely Alk.

And it sounds like to test kits are WAY outdated, or you made an error. 36 drops is 720 calcium, and if your alk is 4? I don't even know if thats possible.

Get me a sample, and bring it straight here. I will get it tested for you with upto date kits.

I was just there and got it tested.

Phosphate   .25
KH  107.4
Calcium  500
PH  7.8

Guess my test kit is bad.  Still low on the PH and KH.   I'm doing a water change tomorrow.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2010, 21:09:34 »
ya def need to get ph up
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2010, 21:30:15 »
I was just there and got it tested.

Phosphate   .25
KH  107.4
Calcium  500
PH  7.8

Guess my test kit is bad.  Still low on the PH and KH.   I'm doing a water change tomorrow.

Your PH is terrible! lol. But it changes VERY quickly when you pull it from the tank and get it to us. How long was it in the container? Sealed? Or open?

CoralMaker

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2010, 23:28:59 »
Ph does seem off. You need to get that fixed.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2010, 11:04:51 »
Your PH is terrible! lol. But it changes VERY quickly when you pull it from the tank and get it to us. How long was it in the container? Sealed? Or open?

It was sealed for about about a half hour. 

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2010, 14:25:18 »
We just changed the water, how long should I wait to test it ?   

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2010, 15:51:02 »
i would give it a day
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2010, 16:30:56 »

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2010, 19:06:50 »
I dont know what other folks do, but at this stage if it was me, I'd temporarily hand the coral over to someone that has had success buying rescue corals and nursing them back to health.  This happened to me with a trumpet I had.  I let it get really bad before asking for help, but the helper was able to save most of the heads.  I'm sure they have better water quality than me and better coral feeding knowledge.

Now I have my trumpet back and it looks great!
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2010, 21:39:24 »
I dont know what other folks do, but at this stage if it was me, I'd temporarily hand the coral over to someone that has had success buying rescue corals and nursing them back to health.  This happened to me with a trumpet I had.  I let it get really bad before asking for help, but the helper was able to save most of the heads.  I'm sure they have better water quality than me and better coral feeding knowledge.

Now I have my trumpet back and it looks great!

I didn't think of that, but you are right. Thats an excellent idea, and the basis for my coral bank idea :)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2010, 21:46:00 »
I didn't think of that, but you are right. Thats an excellent idea, and the basis for my coral bank idea :)

And im sure that brain was much more expensive than the cheap trumpets I got at a swap :)

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2010, 22:44:35 »
that was a great idea i held all of slandis  corals when he was have problems

but at the same time some peoples tank cant keep everything i have never had any success with brains nor rics
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2010, 23:22:19 »
That is a great idea.    What's a coral bank ?

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2010, 23:31:42 »
That is a great idea.    What's a coral bank ?

If you keep corals that can be fragged. We can start a bank, swap corals. Then if something happens and you lose one, you go back to the person "banking" your coral, and get another frag. :)

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2010, 23:42:40 »
If you keep corals that can be fragged. We can start a bank, swap corals. Then if something happens and you lose one, you go back to the person "banking" your coral, and get another frag. :)

Oh, that doesn't help my situation.  But, thanks for the info, it does sound like a good idea.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2010, 23:44:44 »
Oh, that doesn't help my situation.  But, thanks for the info, it does sound like a good idea.

Sure, I'll take 1/2 that brain when you cut it up :)

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2010, 23:48:16 »
Sure, I'll take 1/2 that brain when you cut it up :)

I do have access to a coral saw hehe. We could make that happen. Cut it in thirds then?

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2010, 05:33:09 »
I do have access to a coral saw hehe. We could make that happen. Cut it in thirds then?

ummmm  NO !!!!   lol   I'll just give him some TLC.   

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2010, 07:06:06 »
ummmm  NO !!!!   lol   I'll just give him some TLC.   

:) but seriously, you might want to consider letting someone nurse it back to health that has had success with it. For one reason or another it needs something it's not getting from your tank (or getting something it doesn't like). And everyday it's retracted is another day it doesn't eat

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2010, 11:59:23 »
:) but seriously, you might want to consider letting someone nurse it back to health that has had success with it. For one reason or another it needs something it's not getting from your tank (or getting something it doesn't like). And everyday it's retracted is another day it doesn't eat

I don't know anyone that can do that.  Not close anyway.

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2010, 12:41:08 »
Everyone seems to be worried about the ph at 7.8, why?  Ph should be 8- 8.5, two tenths isn't a lot and besides PH goes down with the lights on, what is the PH with the lights off?  BTW I run my tanks ph@ 7.8 with lights on, no problems.  I bet most on here if checked would fine the ph was lower with the lights on and below the 8-8.5 recommendation.  I agree if it continues down this path get it to someone who has a stable tank and see if it gets better.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2010, 13:28:15 »
Everyone seems to be worried about the ph at 7.8, why?  Ph should be 8- 8.5, two tenths isn't a lot and besides PH goes down with the lights on, what is the PH with the lights off?  BTW I run my tanks ph@ 7.8 with lights on, no problems.  I bet most on here if checked would fine the ph was lower with the lights on and below the 8-8.5 recommendation.  I agree if it continues down this path get it to someone who has a stable tank and see if it gets better.

I was worried because my PH has always been 8.2   Even out of my tap, it's 9.  So when it gets below 8, I worry something is going on.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2010, 05:41:38 »
I've done 2 doses of Kent Marine Buffer. 24 hours apart.  So far, no change.  I tried feeding the brain, no luck.  He still looks the same.