2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Strange White Intruder  (Read 2645 times)

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Strange White Intruder
« on: November 27, 2010, 14:36:44 »

I am seeing this white web/coral-like "stuff" on both of my GSP colonies, and on a zoa colony.  Any ideas?  My tank is in a state of disrepair that I am in the process of remedying (see my recent post on my Tank Profile). 

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
Re: Strange White Intruder
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 16:06:59 »
It looks to be some type of sponge, probably thriving due to excess nutrients. I would just break off what you can, and since many sponges are air sensitive, I would just take the zoos and gsp and sit them out in the air for 10 or so minutes... this wont hurt them at all, as long as they stay damp. I have seen zoos and gsp rocks shipped 24 hours in just wet newspaper many times.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 16:28:36 »
You know, now that you mention it, a sponge is probably the most likely candidate.  I scraped off most of what was on my GPS "island", and ripped out most of the other GPS that was in the tank.  See my Tank Profile for the "Immediately After" photo.  I did a hefty water change, removed a bunch of vegetation that was thriving in the nutrient sink that was my tank.  It looks like a whole new tank!

I'll try to keep everyone posted on anything I find out about this white "stuff".

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 16:59:48 »
You know, now that you mention it, a sponge is probably the most likely candidate.  I scraped off most of what was on my GPS "island", and ripped out most of the other GPS that was in the tank.  See my Tank Profile for the "Immediately After" photo.  I did a hefty water change, removed a bunch of vegetation that was thriving in the nutrient sink that was my tank.  It looks like a whole new tank!

I'll try to keep everyone posted on anything I find out about this white "stuff".

if it is a sponge, its not bad.  Just eating extra stuff like Mike said.  Need to keep after the maintence now that the macro and stuff is gone.  Thats what was keeping your excess nutrients in check.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 17:48:05 »
LOL, keeping it in check AND choking everything out  :hmmmm:

There is still some left.  I couldn't clear it all out.  But, yes, you are right, better attention to maintenance will keep bad things like this from happening again.