2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Drilling glass  (Read 3451 times)

Offline JSellars

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Drilling glass
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2020, 07:32:55 »
That looks great! I think I gave up on the idea of drilling my new tank for a return bulkhead. Just going to use a hang over return nozzle, don’t want to risk drilling it lol. I still don’t have the new tank, wife has me on a money freeze lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dbowman

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Drilling glass
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2020, 12:12:51 »
Sir,
 One of the reasons i enjoy this hobby is the learning; finding answers to questions that will inform future builds. All things being equal, i have mixed feelings about the return bulkhead. these will be resolved once the tank is leak tested. 1. unlike over the top piping where you can have an anti-siphon hole, the inflow level is below the overflow so more gallons might siphon back to the basement. There is enough room in the sump to accomodate the extra but on a larger display the design would present issues. 2. i used pipe thread sealant instead of teflon tape to connect the male threaded adapter  to the inner threads of the bulkhead. the fit seems very loose. I glued the street El to the adapter first so it couldn't bottom out and still hang vertically. it swings easily so i am concerned that water will pass down the threads. it could be fine. 3. I decided on the bulkhead return to eliminate 90's because of the head height. until i see the flow without further fittings i have not decided on an inside adapter and realized that livestock could find its way into the 1 1/4" hole if there isn't some strainer on it.
  This weekend i mounted a back board to hold the plumbing and electrical for the sump. I primed it yesterday. Oh, NO! scope creep! the walls around the board look dingy. sooner or later the basement will need to be painted. climbing around the active sump won't be optimal when that day comes. Sooo Today is basement wall painting day, (ok, so only that corner) so these questions will not be resolved today.
  The good thing about being on a money freeze is the opportunity to fine tune your shopping list while waiting for the thaw. like gardeners looking at the seed catalogue. so many possibilities.