2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Instant Ocean  (Read 2531 times)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Instant Ocean
« on: February 11, 2011, 15:48:30 »
Does anyone use instant ocean salt any more?   :-\

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Instant Ocean
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 15:49:44 »
Yes I do. Wondering why?

Offline starfishprime

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 15:56:45 »
I use IORC. I do weekly water changes and have seen nothing negative that has made me want to change. There are some higher quality salt mixes out there but if you are dosing with additives like maybe a 2-part solution then why bother spending the extra dollar on the salt? Now if you are just relying on the quality of the salt mix then maybe you should look into a 'better' salt mix. I don't use an additive I've been doing weekly water changes for the past ~4 months and have stopped using additives for ~4 months to see if I notice a difference in growth or, CA MG and dKH levels. So far so good. Now do remember though, everyone is going to have different experiences this is just mine so far.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 16:01:14 »
Yes I do. Wondering why?

Just wondering.  I haven't heard anyone say anything about IO lately.  I haven't seen salt buys for IO and thought I was missing something.  LOL  By the way, I've used it for years with no problems.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 16:01:59 »
I also use it, never had a problem with their salt

I think I have a bucket or two of Kent left

Since I am FO it's not as important for me to be picky
300g tub o fish

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 17:52:03 »
I have never seen even a slight difference in live stock/corals and inverts from one salt mix to another. Granted when using Fish Only type salt like Instant Ocean I have had to pre dose Ca and Mag but no difference in live stock.

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 17:54:56 »
I use IORC. I do weekly water changes and have seen nothing negative that has made me want to change. There are some higher quality salt mixes out there but if you are dosing with additives like maybe a 2-part solution then why bother spending the extra dollar on the salt? Now if you are just relying on the quality of the salt mix then maybe you should look into a 'better' salt mix. I don't use an additive I've been doing weekly water changes for the past ~4 months and have stopped using additives for ~4 months to see if I notice a difference in growth or, CA MG and dKH levels. So far so good. Now do remember though, everyone is going to have different experiences this is just mine so far.

I agree with your main concept, but not all dosing can add everything that is contained in a quality salt mix (trace elements) and not all trace element additives are all that great. As far as a low bioload tank with easy to keep corals it is more than fine to use, but I found when switching salt brands I got better colors in the corals.
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 17:56:34 »
but I found when switching salt brands I got better colors in the corals.

Maybe it was just because you started doing water changes  >:D

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 17:57:21 »
Maybe it was just because you started doing water changes  >:D

na I have been super good on keeping up bi weekly to weekly water changes

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 18:27:54 »
na I have been super good on keeping up bi weekly to weekly water changes

Me too ::)  I had a 15 gallon water change made up and now its evaporated to about 1 gallon lol.... MMMmmm trashcan full of salt creep
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 19:22:23 »
Posted by: UDJustin
« on: Today at 17:54:56 » Insert Quote
I agree with your main concept, but not all dosing can add everything that is contained in a quality salt mix (trace elements) and not all trace element additives are all that great. As far as a low bioload tank with easy to keep corals it is more than fine to use, but I found when switching salt brands I got better colors in the corals
===================================================================================
OK so what salt did you swicth from and to when you saw better colors?
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 09:24:26 »
Me too ::)  I had a 15 gallon water change made up and now its evaporated to about 1 gallon lol.... MMMmmm trashcan full of salt creep

Hey!  I resemble that remark!  LOL

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 08:31:31 »
I went from RSCP to Instant Ocean to Brightwell

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 17:27:24 »
I went from RSCP to Instant Ocean to Brightwell

So how long you been on the brightwell? And do you think (if you've been on it long enough to have a formed opinion), That it is worth the extra money it cost?

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 19:22:18 »
the cost is about the same a rscp now
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 19:59:25 »
I have used it over six months and havent found anything I like better yet

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 00:05:46 »
the cost is about the same a rscp now

I got a bucket of the NEW RSCP for 52.00 and brightwell is quite a bit more. Like about 20.00 bucks. Where do you get yours and how much are you paying. I may be thinking of something else. I will have to recheck.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 08:13:59 »
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 20:29:10 »

That is what I plan on doing. When I set up my 1st reef tank we did bi-wkly water changes and water was stable for several months and then I passed that level of bioload adding live stock and had to start 2-part dosing.
Now I am having alk drop but have not figured out the 'daily loss'. 
So I figure that I might as well go back to bi-wkly changes with a better salt.

Right now its a 'money thang', kno wat I mean, Vern?
:-$

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 09:29:03 »
Don't get me wrong, I have a calcium reactor, top off daily with Kalk, dose magnesium and strontium too,my bioload is heavy enough that I dont think weekly water changes would be able to keep with with my demands.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 19:37:59 »
Don't get me wrong, I have a calcium reactor, top off daily with Kalk, dose magnesium and strontium too,my bioload is heavy enough that I dont think weekly water changes would be able to keep with with my demands.

So how often do you w/change?
And have you seen a benefit to your corals?

I mentioned brightwell to Rich and he said that he had ordered some for certain folk but had no x-tra.
Please let me know before you order again and I'll try to have saved enough to get a couple boxes or buckets however it comes.

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 21:23:03 »
I do water changes once a week