2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: vodka dosing (in your reef not mouth)  (Read 1346 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
vodka dosing (in your reef not mouth)
« on: March 12, 2011, 10:37:23 »
Is anyone dosing vodka into their tanks?   I would like to know what effects the ultra low nutrient levels have on your corals.  I have noticed a slow down in growth and not as good of polyp extension in my corals of late and was wondering if my system is getting to the uln point.
thanks
Jeff

Offline chromiumlux

Re: vodka dosing (in your reef not mouth)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 11:29:04 »
What is the method you are dosing with Jeff? Vodka obviously, but rather could you explain the complete process and everything involved.
Chromiumlux

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 11:30:30 »
Yes, although I have moved to a Vodka/Vinegar solution.   Equal molar concentrations  (or for you non chemisty folk, 8 parts normal white vinegar, to 1 part 80proof vodka).   I use 1 ampule of Prodibio BioDigest every 15 days......or so.   Tank volume about 120 gallons.  (90 gal tank, 25 or so in my sump, 20 gal frag tank)

When I first started 3 years ago, I was die hard pushing for ULN.   I was dosing straight vodka at the time, up to about 8ml per day.   I found that while algae could not survive with the ULN.   I could not keep good coloration in my coral, everything was a bit pale.   I tried various brands of amino acids, and such.....could not get color.

So I backed off on my dosing.   Never stopped, just dropped to about 1/2ml per day.    Let my nitrates get to the point where I could just detect them with my test kit.    Colors and growth have never been better.   I've been this way for about a year.  I use a maintenance dose now of 2ml per day  (Note that the V/V equal molar solution above is not nearly as strong as straight vodka)   I usually just watch the algae growth.......if it seems to be growing a little less, I skip a dose or two......if it is growing more that normal, I make sure I hit every dose.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 13:53:23 »
I actually am not dosing any vodka.  I have a pretty large skimmer with twin sicci pumps, gfo reactor, sump with mangrooves, 55 gallon sump with coral rubble and a remote deep sand bucket.  With all of the above I believe I might be in the uln level and maybe seeing the effects of it.  I see absolutely no algae growth other alittle bit on the glass once a week.  I have even watched some patches of bubble algae die off.  along with the slow growth and poor polyp extension I am thinking uln.  Just not sure where to go from here if that might be the case.
thanks
Jeff

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 20:25:32 »
Zeovit amino acids...  I hear that there's some pretty good results out there with these and ULN tanks when growing SPS.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...