2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Phosphate issue  (Read 11029 times)

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: Phosphate issue
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2011, 21:29:32 »
Great news!
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #101 on: September 02, 2011, 07:41:45 »
Source of Phosphates found! Tank is looking good again, corals are rebounding and I happy. I will get a picture of the issue and post up soon.

What was it???

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #102 on: September 02, 2011, 10:34:26 »
You too will be shocked and amazed!  Stay tuned..  (BTW, I know what it was but I'm not tellin!)
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #103 on: September 02, 2011, 16:56:50 »
I will get a pic posted up soon.  >:D

Offline The WuSue

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2011, 17:11:05 »
The suspense is killing me....

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2011, 18:15:48 »
I bet it was a dirty diaper.... Or a giant chunk of white phosphorus.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2011, 20:20:23 »
Dirty Salt. That is the inside of my 55g water change drum. I can't normally see inside the drum because it has only a 5" hole on top and is sitting up off the ground and in a dark closet. A pipe that goes down to the bottom of the drum popped off,  I reached in to reconnect it and my arm came out with this foamy brown sludge all over it. The salt that created this problem was either Red Sea Coral Pro or Reef Crystals though I am not certain but leaning toward RC due to timing of problem and my switch. A google search brought forward plenty of posts with this occurring with many major salt brands at one time or another. Although one manufacture said it is harmless and is good for your tank my corals and phosphate meter would disagree. Since correcting this issue I have pulled about 5 pounds of wet dead algae out of my tank which is now running GFO free and phosphates are down to .02.

http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/brown-deposit-h2ocean-pro-plus-salt

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2011, 20:38:50 »
o wow  rscp had a bad batch earlyer this year
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2011, 20:46:32 »
If you happen to have any link to it let me know. Thanks

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2011, 21:00:18 »
dont have a link it happend to me and mike that how we had the hair algea out break  it was the last run of salt befor they brought out the new salt
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2011, 22:16:39 »
I do remember both your hair algae outbreaks. Didn't know it was from the salt. I guess it makes sense since we all probably get it from the same place same batch. The algae/phosphate issue started April for me. So would have been salt I bought Feb or March

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #111 on: September 02, 2011, 23:34:59 »
Well, now you can finally move forward with that 400g build... j/k.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2011, 23:44:53 »
Oh wow! I had that issue with Kent salt a long time ago. Switched over to ESV and have not had any issues yet, other than my corals are growing like crazy.
Chromiumlux

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2011, 23:58:14 »
I have read nothing but good things about ESV salt. It is pricey but the money I spent in GFO getting it out of the tank could have more then paid for the extra cost of salt.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2011, 00:54:10 »
My clear barrel started looking exactly like this using reef crystals... I even said in an earlier post it was mainly the reason for switching to seachem, as the RC wasn't mixing fully with the water and leaving a residue on the barrel and then crusting over and giving off an unpleasant scent
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #115 on: September 03, 2011, 07:42:30 »
Reef Crystals has done this for years, I used it when I first started my tanks in 2004.   Although it was mainly Nitrates in the residue.  I had to constantly keep my container clean.   RSCP (old formula) did this at the end before they switched too.    I've been using SeaChem, while it takes a tad bit longer to dissolve, it has been mixing clean.

I guess I'm keeping my mixing tank out in the open, where I can observe it.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #116 on: September 03, 2011, 07:46:25 »
Brian, did you switch over to ESV?  For those that use it, was it difficult to know how much of what to mix together?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #117 on: September 03, 2011, 10:37:37 »
Brian, did you switch over to ESV?  For those that use it, was it difficult to know how much of what to mix together?

No I haven't switched over to that yet. I may although I would prefer a dump and go salt mix so might try Paul's recommendation seachem first.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #118 on: September 03, 2011, 10:47:40 »
No I haven't switched over to that yet. I may although I would prefer a dump and go salt mix so might try Paul's recommendation seachem first.

I would prefer a dump and go kind of salt too.  I'm extremely lazy when it comes to testing.  I don't know that I want to test the salt every time to make sure I have the correct amout of whatever in there.  I'll be curious to see how seachem does for you.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #119 on: September 03, 2011, 11:30:46 »
FYI - When I tested freshly made up water in the above bucket it had phosphates of 1.0. Earlier in this thread someone had made a recomendation to test freshly made mix, I think it was Mr. Fish. Maybe someone else. Anyway I didn't find this problem then. The reason is I didn't test it from this container. I have my RO/DI line split out to a 5 gallon bucket in addtion to the mixing drum. This bucket is used for when I need some clean water for cleaning cuvets and stuff like that. Since I didn't have any water in my drum at the time I added salt to the 5 gallon bucket and tested from there. It had Phosphate of 0. With this said I am guessing it was a specific batch or several batches of salt that caused this problem. Although the dry salt mix always looked the same.....White.

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
« Reply #120 on: September 03, 2011, 12:30:41 »
Brian I have been using the new rscp on our tank with 0 issues. I do how ever once a month clean my mixing tank as part of my maintenance.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #121 on: September 03, 2011, 13:52:17 »
Brian I have been using the new rscp on our tank with 0 issues. I do how ever once a month clean my mixing tank as part of my maintenance.

Why do you have to clean your mixing tank once a month? What problems are you seeing in it? I have never before now had to clean my mixing container/drum.

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
« Reply #122 on: September 03, 2011, 15:39:45 »
I have to clean our mixing tank at Pet Solutions about once every 3 months.Calcium builds up on the bottom and sides and if you leave it to long it flakes off into the water. Once calcium deposits build up they can pull calcium out of you new make up water.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #123 on: September 03, 2011, 16:44:01 »
So the beginnings of this is a fine white slime that accumulates on the inside of your mixing barrel?