2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Chemiclean?  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
Chemiclean?
« on: July 12, 2011, 22:46:37 »
Does anyone have experience with this product? I have been having a bout with brown/red slime all over everything, and I can't seem to get rid of it. I have done complete tank scrubbs followed by water changes with no luck. This is a 20 gallon setup with a 96 watt T5 light, and 2 Koralia nano 450's. All the parameters seem to be in check aside from phos as I don't have a test kit for this, but I do run GFO, and carbon. The tank has been up for about 6 months now with about the last month and a half battling this slime. I have read other threads saying chemiclean gets rid of this stuff, but wanted club members opinions.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Re: Chemiclean?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 23:15:14 »
Dave, I've used it before.  Turn your skimmer off for the duration of the treatment.  Also be prepared to do a large water change and run carbon afterwards.  Since your tank is fairly young, this coul dbe a normal process.  Are you using RO/DI water?  If so what is the TDS?

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 06:53:50 »
Thanks Micki. Yes I am using ro/di, but my tds is not optimal its at like 22.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 07:15:30 »
Dave, have you changed your filters or DI resin lately?  The high TDS could cause many problems.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 08:29:01 »
Leave your skimmer running, just turn the bubble level down so it doesn't collect anything. It is important to continue to add large amounts of oxgen while using this product or you will lose livestock.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 09:05:35 »
Leave your skimmer running, just turn the bubble level down so it doesn't collect anything. It is important to continue to add large amounts of oxgen while using this product or you will lose livestock.

I've always ran skimmer off with no problems at all, however what you're suggesting makes sense.  Hopefully I won't have to do that process again, but if I do, I may try what you suggested.