2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Vodka dosing to reduce NO3 and PO4  (Read 2861 times)

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Vodka dosing to reduce NO3 and PO4
« on: January 16, 2010, 11:06:06 »
I started doing some research on how to control nitrates, and found this interesting article. 

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

Sample quotes:

"While the concept of using an organic carbon source to reduce nutrients is not new to the hobby, it has recently gained considerable popularity."

"It has been reported that addition of certain organics can help enhance the appearance of the reef aquarium by reducing nitrates and phosphates. To do this, people have experimented with sugar, vinegar, and vodka. All of which are organic. Our discussion is focused on vodka addition."

Offline woltersb

• Adult
Re: Vodka dosing to reduce NO3 and PO4
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 11:16:46 »
Ya I have been reading this also... My only thing is that it seems the people that do this (correct me if I m wrong) use very large skimmers and its almost like they are over skimming. Correct me if I am wrong but I think that over skimming with a monster skimmer would have the same effect!

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 11:23:35 »
Ya I have been reading this also... My only thing is that it seems the people that do this (correct me if I m wrong) use very large skimmers and its almost like they are over skimming. Correct me if I am wrong but I think that over skimming with a monster skimmer would have the same effect!

The reason for the large skimmer is when you add organic carbon, you have a large upswing in bacteria that feed on no3 and po4. Without a large skimmer to you don't remove the no3 and po4 because it is bound up the bacteria. The bacteria also use up a large about of oxygen so the added aeration of the skimmer helps also.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Reefd Up

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 11:23:59 »
I would *HIGHLY* advise newcomers to the hobby against this technique.  This isn't really a technique for just lowering nitrates and phosphates...it's a technique used by people who cannot kick bubble algae even with giant monster skimmers, etc.  Corals can easily starve to death...and everyone I've known that has tried this has lost some corals.  Montiporas are very sensitive to this treatment.  It is very easy to under or overdose...and you'll need to know how to read your tank just by looking at it to see if something is going wrong.  There are no test kits for vodka (unless the cop is pulling you over for a breathlyzer test!)

This technique is on the extreme side of things.  There are MUCH more simple methods you can use that will risk your tank less.  I recommend looking into a "remote deep sandbed".  It's really easy...just requires a small pump, some tubing, a 5g bucket, and sand.  You won't risk your tank nearly as much...and can enjoy the vodka for what it's meant for!  :laugh:

They do make nitrate sponges.  I've never used one...and have no idea how well they work (if at all).  I prefer the more natural method...Ammonia to nitrite to nitrate...by using anaerobic zones to decrease the nitrate.  

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 11:25:44 »
 I recommend looking into a "remote deep sandbed".  It's really easy...just requires a small pump, some tubing, a 5g bucket, and sand.

+1 This is a much better idea ;)
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline woltersb

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 11:29:20 »
I used nitrate sponge before did great... Plus i stoped over feeding etc and PERFECT nitro. Thanks for explaining the skimmer stuff i was guessing!

Reefd Up

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 11:32:52 »
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-06/newbie/index.php

I'll keep poking around for some good articles

Reefd Up

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 11:34:43 »
Ah, and here's the thread I was looking for...mentioned in the above article.  There's also a DIY denitrifyer...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=aaf591377bd9b4374803a98d14cca7ab&threadid=595109&highlight=calfo+sand+bed+bucket

I would seriously just drop the money on a quality RO/DI unit...because you'll end up spending that money anyway trying to bandaid a problem. 

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 11:35:50 »
Yeah, I considered adding a disclaimer.  For me it was just an interesting article, but not something I plan on trying out any time soon.  Pricing RO/DI units right now...  Other than the tap water source, the tank is doing great - no sense in adding anything foreign right now

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 11:38:54 »
I need to do something for PO4.  I ran out of phosban and haven't used anything in a while.  I've lost a lot of SPS as a result.  My test kits are expired and I've just been lazy this winter...

Offline Rayman

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 11:58:16 »
the last time i dosed with vodka, i over did it and ended up sick the whole next day, never again.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 12:22:55 »
Captain Morgan's for me...  Never had a problem with the vodka.  Once wa enough for me :)

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 23:31:37 »
I have been using it over a year.   I would not say I have a huge skimmer, but it is over-sized for my tank.  My tank is 6 years old.   I run a DSB in my main tank, but it was not keeping up.......   It has worked well for me, but you do need to be careful.   I have about 120gal of water in my system, and I'm at about 1ml per day for maintenance dose.   The other reason that I use it is because it is cheap......no need for GFO, no need to grow algea in the sump.

1) Start low, where everyone says to, but do not boost your levels too high.  Just stay lower and let it work.
2) If you drive everything to unmeasurable, you'll get very low nutrients, and it will tend to lighten the color of the corals.  I tried dosing aminos to keep the color, but I now just backed off my dose, and use it to maintain my NO3 right at the barely detectable range.