2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: vodka dosing  (Read 3117 times)

Offline larrynews

vodka dosing
« on: February 26, 2010, 22:41:55 »
does anyone dose with vodka and what is the purpose, been reading up a little sounds bigger over seas than here

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
Re: vodka dosing
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 22:51:50 »
I know that Wall_Tank does. I have considered it but I don't run my skimmer often enough to do it. It is a method of nitrate and po4 reduction by adding an carbon source for bacteria to feed on.

Good reading:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 22:52:40 »
I was thinking Nikki had tried it at one point also.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 01:24:31 »
Been doing it for at least a year.  It's purely for Nitrate and phosphate reduction   It's easy to over do.....so if you want to try, take it very slow.   

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 09:17:40 »
One good hangover, and you'll know you dosed too much  :)

Offline Kenn

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 09:42:20 »
heres a good read too :) and its local :)

http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4211.0
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 11:37:12 »
Seems like every couple of months this comes back up.  And I refuse to avoid the oh so obvious drinking jokes. :)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 11:40:25 »
it looks like it would work great
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline larrynews

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 12:17:03 »
i was ready for the jokes but i hoped i would get a few answers

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 12:24:14 »
jd, Wall_Tank and kennv431 all posted legitimate responses.  I asked about this in January, and for the most part, folks shy away from this (around here), except in extreme circumstances.  I think that no matter what you are dosing with, any additional metered additives going into the tank introduce a higher likelihood of knocking the tank out of balance.  While I have no personal experience with vodka dosing (of aquariums :) ), I would recommend that before you make any sort of decision, you have to determine if you will be able to maintain the potential additional upkeep and monitoring.  If not, then don't do it, but if so, knock yourself out and let us all know how it works for you.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 12:38:31 »
I would recommend that before you make any sort of decision, you have to determine if you will be able to maintain the potential additional upkeep and monitoring.

Actually the upkeep is easier, other than daily dosing.  If you miss a day, no big deal.  Just have a good skimmer.  In my case, I had a nitrate an uncontrollable bubble algae issue.   I checked all of the common sources of nitrate addition, I was pretty sure it was my live rock.........  I didn't want to tear the tank down and start over, I also didn't want to keep doing crazy amounts of water changes.

I'm beginning to feel that after a year+ at unmeasurable nitrate, I'm slowly backing off on the vodka.  I still have bubble algea, but it's controllable.

I should note that I also use a bacteria booster to make sure the Vodka doesn't build a single culture bacteria.  I use BioDigest from Prodibio.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 12:54:33 »
wall tank how much do use i have a 125.

larry

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 13:27:39 »
wall tank how much do use i have a 125.

larry

Larry, the article I posted has dosing guidelines. Its very inportant to start slowly.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 14:00:02 »
thats a good atical
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
    • Real Job:  HunnyBuns Nursery & Reborn Supply
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 16:01:50 »
There are a gazillionty-leven articles on it on Reef Central.  I can see how people would get into it but I guess it's really high maintenance.
-Steph
--------------
What do you call an old reefer with no tank? 
:-(
-----------------------------

Offline larrynews

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 16:09:44 »
I think i might just go the natural route and stay patient