2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Ghurlag's 29g Reef  (Read 8415 times)

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Ghurlag's 29g Reef
« on: January 03, 2010, 13:24:55 »
Hey all!  I've been really busy the past couple days setting up the 29g setup I bought from reeflover.  The current configuration, as I understand it:

Hardware:
29g drilled (DIY overflow)
10g sump with LR and "post-consumer" DIY skimmer
Unknown return pump (feeds skimmer and display tank)
Koralia 2 (600 GPH) in display tank
40-50 lbs of Live Rock overall
75W Metal Halide

Livestock:
1 Lemon Damsel
2 snails

Future plans:
Lunar LED lights
UV Sterilizer
Unspecified corals, anemones
2 - ocellaris clowns
1 - Royal Gramma
1 - Goby (Watchman maybe?)
2-3 - Peppermint shrimp

I am REALLY excited about the next few months as the system stabilizes and comes to life.  I'm hoping there isn't too big a crash with live rock die off from transport.  It was extremely cold outside...  Here's the first pic, less than an hour after setup, before the damsel and snails were added:

Offline HUNGER

Re: Ghurlag's 29g Reef
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 14:33:29 »
sounds good the pic didnt show up tho
SIZE DOES MATTER

Reefd Up

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 14:51:50 »
Sounds good...+1 on the pic not showing (use photobucket or such and insert the IMG code...uploading directly onto the site isn't always the easiest.) 

What type of corals are you looking to keep?  Further down the road, you may want to increase your lighting if you plan to keep higher light-demand corals like SPS.  (Such as 2x75W, a 150W, or supplemental T-5's). 

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 15:33:14 »
I tried the image link and it worked for me...  I'll move it over to photo bucket and see what I can make happen.

I also agree that the light might not be enough.  It makes a nice shimmer, but the live rock lights up like it's a few feet below the surface.  If I can get the pic up, you should see what I'm talking about.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 15:40:01 »
Let's try this...

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 15:56:13 »
lol nope
SIZE DOES MATTER

slandis3

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 16:10:36 »
It worked for a minute

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 16:24:17 »
okay, let's try this.  Since I am obviously forum-inept, here is a link to my blog's Reef page:

http://ghurlag.wordpress.com/reef/

If it doesn't work... ... ... let's just not think about that  ;D

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 16:27:29 »
BTW, I can't afford another MH light for a long time.  Any additional recommendations on what I can do about getting enough light for corals?  T-5's sound great, but what should I be looking for?  Gerber's has the Coralife dual T-5 lights, 30-inch for ~$55-$60.  I need to be able to budget for a UV sterilizer, too.  I'm in it for the long haul.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 17:13:54 »
Go for a watchman Goby with a coral banded ( my personal fav) or tiger pistol shrimp. They pair up great, park themselves in front of the tank (most of the time) and can be tons of entertainment. Just make sure the tank is good and cycled first.

If you can find any patience for sale grab as much as you can ! It helps a lot !  ;D
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Reefd Up

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 17:32:58 »
BTW, I can't afford another MH light for a long time.  Any additional recommendations on what I can do about getting enough light for corals?  T-5's sound great, but what should I be looking for?  Gerber's has the Coralife dual T-5 lights, 30-inch for ~$55-$60.  I need to be able to budget for a UV sterilizer, too.  I'm in it for the long haul.

Keep an eye out for sales and frag swaps.  DIY T-5 setups are fairly inexpensive if you're handy.  I've posted a DIY 70W MH setup that isn't too bad either.  But, from the looks of your tank, you should be ok for a while (softies...some LPS) ...unless...you wanted to get straight into SPS coral. 

Just curious, why are you planning on running a UV sterilizer? 

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 20:24:01 »
UV sterilizer will be simply a periodic polisher, possibly run when new critters are added to combat any parasites that hitchhike.  For my application it will be overkill, hence why it's not so high on the priority list.  I know that while killing the baddies, the goodies that pass through are flash fried as well...

For right now, I need to brush up on my light spectrum knowledge and ensure that I have the best setup.  Most of the DIY T-5 setups, by the time it's all said and done, run pretty close to the $60 mark, so I'm not sure which way I'll go on that.

Anybody have any recommendations on kalkwasser dosage?

slandis3

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 20:30:58 »
Anybody have any recommendations on kalkwasser dosage?

I have built a few of these for people. I run the top off water through it.

http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=3557.0

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 20:43:57 »
I have built a few of these for people. I run the top off water through it.

http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=3557.0

they work perrty good lol
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline wolfeden3

• I hate aptasia!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Juvenile
  • I LOVE ZOANTHIDS AND SOFTIES!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 20:48:39 »
not to jack the thread but slandis remember if you get enough to make them i would still like one.
Thanks,
Garry
:) 90g w/ 30g refuge 776w mh w/ pc attinic f/o tank
;) 46 bow front new diy sump 192w pc f/c tank
;) 10g frag tank marine-land reef capable led

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 21:00:22 »
That is pretty sweet, however, I don't think I'm quite there yet.  I have a bucket of kalk that reeflover supplied with the tank I bought, and I'm not sure what the best approach would be for me to utilize it.  I gather top off water is the place to make it happen.  How much per gallon?

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 21:02:56 »
depends on coral load and how fast the corals are taking it up.+
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Reefd Up

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 21:32:23 »
+1 on dosing kalk - you'll need to measure your magnesium, calcium, alkalinity, and pH to get a good idea of how to balance your tank with dosing kalkwasser.  Those 4 levels balance each other...so you really need to be checking all of those.  There's no simple formula for dosing according to tank size.  Here's a handy calculator:  http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html

If you're planning on only having a fish-only tank for a while, you shouldn't need to dose.  You still should check your levels to make sure the tank is cycling properly and to make sure your salt mix is good...but shouldn't need to dose with regular water changes.  Even people with softy-only coral tanks rarely have to dose due to the low levels of calcium in their "skeletal-spicule" systems.  LPS, SPS, and clams use much more cal/alk/mag - so you'll need to dose for those probably.

Random DIY post here...thought it was funny and interesting:  http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/1/lines/view?searchterm=kalk

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 23:56:21 »
Thanks, Reef'd Up.  I definitely want to ensure the water quality, salinity, etc., are all in check before adding any more inhabitants.  Any recommendations on test kits?  I can shop on my own, but I figure learning from others' experiences will be of better benefit.

Reefd Up

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 07:01:44 »
I personally use Salifert.  They're a bit expensive and can be hard to find sometimes (they come over on a boat...so sloooow).  But, they're pretty accurate, easy to use, and seem to be less of a pain than others.  There are some better test kits out (such as Lamotte), but they're either terribly expensive or terribly complicated.  I think some other people use Red Sea, but I didn't like it.  I use API kits for the basic stuff I don't test much anymore (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, etc).  Once your tank is cycled and stable, you'll quit testing those as much probably and just mainly test alk/ca/mag/pH/salinity/temp.  If you're interested in that brand test kit, Marine Solutions usually stocks a nice quantity of their kits.  Most of their kits range anywhere from $15 to $30, depending on where you get it and what kit it is. 

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 20:30:09 »
+1 on salifert.   But I've been using the Elos Mag kit lately,  it seems to handle the +1400 Mg range better.

I only test for Alk, Mg, Ca and NO3  (The NO3 if I see an algea change)   Ph is done via a probe and controller.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 21:01:16 »
Well the, if anyone finds any salifert kits, let me know and maybe I'll pick some up. 

The tank is really clear today.  Lemon Damsel has been eating just fine and is very bright yellow.  I think one of the snails is headed for the big reef tank in the sky, but it wasn't right from the beginning.

My wife and son like "Chubby", as they have named the Damsel.  Any hopes that he will coexist with a couple clowns, a royal gramma, a watchman goby and some peppermint shrimp down the road? 

Reefd Up

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 21:37:12 »
Clowns and damselfish are closely related...so they can get rather territorial with each other...but plenty of people do it (and I accidentally am today...just was given a mated pair of clownfish who are now residing with a damsel.)  Royal Gramma's may pick on the watchman gobies since they are similar body shapes (royal gramma's can get pretty mean.)  Overall, I don't see a problem with that list, but just some things to watch out for.

With the couple of clowns, are you thinking about an anemone to go with them?  (You mentioned you had a son...most kids beg for "Nemo" and the home anemone.)  If so, you'll need to research your lighting options a lot more as most anemones require higher lighting (see other post of mine in your lighting thread.)  Just trying to help you forsee problems down the road.  :)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 21:53:09 »
I had my clowns for about 6 months and now they host in my Xenia ??? ? ? Grows quick and doesnt need much light. Maybe that could work for you too, if you cant afford the lights yet

They dont HAVE to have a host either, they'll just pick something and host it, Mine used to host a shelf in the rocks before the xenia
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 22:15:45 »
An anemone is definitely part of the plan...  Gotta have the quintessential clownfish and anemone.  I haven't quite figured out what kind of anemone I would like, though.  Yet another area I am researching.  Even though it's all overwhelming, combining fish, corals, anemones, and various supporting invertebrates, I think the whole planning and design stage is a lot of fun.