2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: How do I frag this?  (Read 3029 times)

Blown76mav

How do I frag this?
« on: April 12, 2009, 20:40:55 »
Ok so I'm a little new at fragging.  How do I frag this open brain or can I frag it even.  It just keeps getting bigger and bigger, I'm going to run out of room for it before long.  It bigger than when this picture was taken.  Its at least 10 inchs in diameter and over 7 inchs in height. I've moved it back from the glass 3 times and it keeps growing.  How big do they get?  I don't want to hurt it.

Thanks

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Re: How do I frag this?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 20:58:02 »
That is awesome. If you figure out how to frag it, I'd be interested in a piece.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 21:13:58 »
They are one of the more difficult corals to frag. If you are feeling pretty gutsy then give this a try.
Put a rubber band around it so it is pinching the place where you want to do the cut. The rubber band should cut through the skin over a couple of weeks or less depending on how tight it is. As it cuts through the skin it will heal itself at the same time. Once it is all the way through you can cut the skeleton with a fine tooth band saw, tile saw or dremel with a large diamond blade. viola two open brains. You may want to cut it into several pieces each with their own mouth. If that is the case wrap multiple rubber bands around it.

Blown76mav

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 21:16:19 »
Don't know if I'm that gutsy.  That seems pretty risky.

Offline verper

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 21:18:52 »
It can be with those fleshy coral.  The whole thing could die if it doesn't like it.  Kinda like fragging blastos.  Cut into the side of one and it may heal back over, or it may die.  Never any way of telling.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 21:19:12 »
Definitely risky. I am going to try it to mine sometime soon and will take pictures of the process.