2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 40 Gallons and a Move  (Read 9131 times)

Offline The WuSue

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: 40 Gallons and a Move
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 12:21:19 »
Yet another wonderful reason I'm glad I don't have cats.

The first two reasons include:

1) I'm very allergic to them. (like breaking out in large rashes if we're in the same house too long)

2) Not all of them, but a large portion of them of are the truest form of evil man will ever know.

Yes I'm very well aware how cute kittens are, it's prequel to their evil mind take over.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 12:23:51 »

1) I'm very allergic to them. (like breaking out in large rashes if we're in the same house too long)

2) Not all of them, but a large portion of them of are the truest form of evil man will ever know.

Yes I'm very well aware how cute kittens are, it's prequel to their evil mind take over.

I second all the above.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 15:08:14 »
I have never really been a cat person.... however after owning a few I am now a big fan of them & greatly miss the ones I had. Presently have 3 dogs..... which I love..... but I still miss my cats :(

The best thing about cats is when you go on vacation. Simply give food and water and a large enough litter box and all is good.  With my dogs... can't leave them in the house for any period of time with free roam let alone a week or month long trip! 

I do really miss my cats but present wife is also highly allergic so I had to give them to my parents.......
300g tub o fish

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 16:54:52 »
I agree that cats are evil.  Mine waits for me to go to sleep before she decides my pillow is her property.  And I think she is the reason for my ammonia spike.  I will be moving the litter box further away this weekend and will report back if it helps.

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2013, 13:17:10 »
So after moving the litter box, I have not had another issue with the ammonia getting out of control.  I was able to finish building my cabinet doors.  They look really good.  My next building project is to make a canopy.  Does anyone have recommendations for how tall to make a canopy?

On a side note, I think I do not have enough flow in my tank.  I am thinking about upgrading to an MP10.  Would I be able to get by with one MP10 or should I get 2?

Here are a few pictures

Offline bobdino

• Juvenile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2013, 21:48:27 »
Tank looks good, nice clowns

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2013, 10:47:36 »
Thanks for all the compliments!

Today I am excited to say that my tank has successfully made it through its first year without any major losses.  I had a move, an upgrade, a nasty battle with gha, and a crazy ammonia spike from a liter box.  I just want to share how happy I am to be involved in this amazing hobby!  Thank you to everyone who has given me advice this past year.

Stay tuned.  Picture to come tonight hopefully.

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2013, 21:52:23 »
Very nice tank setup.  Love the hawkish, even though he looked angry he's (she's?) still lovely. 

I'm busy setting up a 40 b with sump, I'm the process of building the stand so its nice to see other people threads and what can be done with the space.

This made me laugh since I'm 95% sure my tiny female cat is actually satan. 

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2013, 22:01:46 »
Vicki,

One thing I learned from building my stand is check to make sure you can put in your sump before you finish.  I had to remove my shelf and drop the tank in from the top.  I was trying to have it so I could slid it in the bottom, but that did not work.

Thanks!  I will try to get a few more pictures up soon, but right now I can fighting a nasty cyno outbreak.  It looks ugly.

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2013, 13:17:29 »
Vicki,

One thing I learned from building my stand is check to make sure you can put in your sump before you finish.  I had to remove my shelf and drop the tank in from the top.  I was trying to have it so I could slid it in the bottom, but that did not work.

Thanks!  I will try to get a few more pictures up soon, but right now I can fighting a nasty cyno outbreak.  It looks ugly.

Yeah, I've made sure I made the stand so I can put the sump tank in easily and remove it should i need to. 

When you take more pictures, can you take some of your plumbing?  I've never plumbed a tank so have been doing a lot of research and I think I almost have it in my head how I will do it it it would be nice to see your since our set ups will be so similar.

Cyano sucks.

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2013, 13:29:58 »

When you take more pictures, can you take some of your plumbing?  I've never plumbed a tank so have been doing a lot of research and I think I almost have it in my head how I will do it it it would be nice to see your since our set ups will be so similar.

It is a little tight in my stand to get pictures of my current plumbing, I will try to get a few current pictures.  I have a few pictures I have already posted, and a topic on planning my sump.

http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=15980.0 - this one plans my sump and plumbing.

http://www.ohioreef.com/Pages/TOTQ/2013-Q3/default.html - this is my tank of the quarter profile that has a good shot of my sump and plumbing.

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2013, 13:39:46 »
Thanks for the links. 

I'll be ordering plumbing stuff and getting my sump tank at some point in the next week I think.  Not looking forward to doing it but ill be pleased once its up and running.