2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 40 Gallons and a Move  (Read 9050 times)

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
40 Gallons and a Move
« on: August 01, 2013, 21:47:02 »
Its a bitter sweet moment, my wife got a job in Indy so we will be moving away from the Greater Cincy area.  Good news is I get to upgrade.

This past weekend we moved into out new apartment in Indy.  I was able to set up my new tank.  Its a 40 breeder with a 20 long sump.  I built a custom stand for it and got it all set up and cycling.  As I am waiting for the tank to cycle, I am planning the move of my 29 gal reef.

I do have a few questions...

1.  Moving
I am planning on placing my fish in inverts in separate 3 gallon plastic tubs.  Will they need air stones or anything for a 2.5 hour move?  The coral I plan to bag/tub depending on if it is attached to my rock or not and placing them in a cooler.  The live rock I will place in a cooler covered in wet paper.

2.  Cycling
I am worried that my new tank may not cycle completely before I have to move out of my apartment in Ohio.  Is this a major concern or am I just stressing out over nothing?

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: 40 Gallons and a Move
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 22:38:46 »
When are you moving the tank? and how long will the other be up and running? You are keeping live rock that is a plus, might want to consider scooping some sand and rubble from the old tank to jump start the new, plus their are some products on the market to help jump start the cycling process. If you have buckets and such may want to consider taking some of the old water. Fish in 3 gal tubs should be fine for 3 hoours IMO, just keep the temp from swinging too much.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 22:49:47 »
Fish will be fine, you can put them in bags with air just like when you buy them at a fish store.  They can be shipped 24-48 hrs this way if dome properly...... Depending on the number of fish and inverts it might be better to completely separate each fish from one another, I. Think it also depends on the type of fish you have.

With cycling, why not get some of the bacteria in a bottle be it dr Tim's or one of the numerous other products out there.  When I purchased my fish from Florida last week, it was a completely new setup.  10+ in queen, med juv emperor and a small gold rim tang.  I added some bacteria that the wholesaler let me have to try out and my ammonia has barely moved at all.  I would just get some type of bacteria to kick the cycle along.... Since you are in Indy why not stop by premium aquatics, they are on the South or south east side of Indy just off the bypass.

300g tub o fish

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 08:25:49 »
I am moving all the live rock as well.  The new tank will be up for about 3 weeks.  When I set up the new tank I added a cup of sand from my old tank and a piece of live rock.  On top of that I added 20 lbs live sand and 19 lbs live rock I bought from premium.  I was thinking about taking as much water from my old tank as I could.  If possible I was thinking about placing the live rock in a 5 gallon bucket and filling it with tank water.

Livestock I have been keeping light in my tank.  I have a pair of snowflake clowns, a yellow watchman goby, and a long nosed hawkfish.  Inverts I have 2 porcelain crabs, a coral banded shrimp, and my clean up crew.   Corals include 2 baseball sized colonies, one of frogspawn and one of candy cane.  The other 4 or 5 corals are all frag size.  And I also have a rock flower anemone.

So for packing the livestock, I planned to put the clowns together in a 3 gallon tub and the hawkfish and goby separate in their own 3 gallon tubs.  Would it be ok to place the porcelain crabs in the same tub as the goby?  I know the coral banded will need its own tub.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 09:47:35 »
I do not think bringing up any water is needed, more of a hassle then its worth

lr can be put in a cooler or whatever with wet newspaper etc on it and fish in the 3gal tubs.  With only a few hour trip it will be fine.... No matter what you will have some die off.

No matter what there will be some die off.... Adding a little bacteria in a bottle will just speed it up a bit

You could put the car in a ziplock pag
300g tub o fish

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 19:06:25 »
Since this is a build thread I thought I would upload a few progress pictures.  Bare with me they are camera phone pictures.

Current FTS of my 29 gallon tank

Leak testing of the 40 breeder

Blurry picture of the 40 breeder cycling in its new home.

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 19:16:57 »
Looking good.
Brent McCloskey

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 23:22:02 »
Nice tanks!
Chromiumlux

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 15:13:12 »
Just finished moving everything over to Indy.  Thank god that is over! 

Things that happened during the move...

1. Broke my impeller on my skimmer while cleaning it.  (On the plus side I am close to Premium and have stock replacement impellers)
2. Got bit by my female snowflake clown (She REALLY surprised me.  I about spilled a lot of water.)
3. Thinking my timer had a battery back-up and having to reprogram 3 different cheap electric timers for my lights.
4. Found a peppermint shrimp that I thought had died 6 months ago.

I will get some pictures posted of the new tank tomorrow.  Too tired to do it tonight.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 23:24:31 »
Glad everything worked out. How big is that eel? How bad did she get yea?

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 09:47:08 »
Well that eel is crazy big!  She almost took off my whole hand.  Her is a picture of her.

And here is a FTS of the new tank!  So far everything is alive and happy!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 11:58:33 »
Looks great nice job.

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 12:06:57 »
Thanks!  I am really enjoying the foot print of the 40 breeder.  On a side note, I have noticed I need another fish.  I was thinking an open water swimmer.  Does anyone have suggestions?

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 19:23:39 »
Looks really nice. All the corals seem pretty happy. So many choices on fish. A firefish, coral beauty angel, fairy wrasse or maybe a cardinal, and the list goes on and on.

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 19:27:55 »
Thanks!  I am really enjoying the foot print of the 40 breeder.  On a side note, I have noticed I need another fish.  I was thinking an open water swimmer.  Does anyone have suggestions?

An angel perhaps?

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 20:31:49 »
I was leaning towards one of the dwarf angels.  Maybe a flame or coral beauty.  I had a firefish before and I guess I got a shy one.  He just hid the entire time.  Also I kinda need a fish who will stand up to my female clown, she has become very territorial.  Hence when I had to re-scape today do to my frogspawn trying to sting my rock anemone she attempted to bite me again.

On a side note, any reason why my acan lord would close today?  It opened up nicely yesterday after the move, but today it has been closed the entire time.

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 22:19:55 »
A small school of cardinals would look really good.
Brent McCloskey

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 19:23:56 »
Update:
I am experiencing a small cycle from the move.  Just had a small ammonia spike.  Also I ordered a new skimmer for the tank.  Its a clone/knock off of a Bubble Magus NAC 3.5 clone.  It had really good reviews over on another forum.  http://www.scaquariums.com/product_p/sca-301.htm  Got it off ebay for $75 new.

On a side note, I just accepted a new job!  Yay!  And as a reward to myself, I got another rock anemone this afternoon.  I will post pictures soon.

On the fish choice, I am leaning towards the Flame Angel.  Premium had a good selection of them so I may pick one up once my tank stabilizes.

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 20:23:01 »
So I have a major emergency!  I am experiencing an ammonia spike.  Over the weekend, the ammonia spiked up to 2 ppm.  All my corals are pissed and one of my zoa frags is beginning to melt.  What I have been doing to combat the ammonia is water changes.  I have completed five 25% water changes over the past 2 days.  I have been able to lower my ammonia to 1 ppm.  But since it has reached 1 ppm it is not dropping anymore.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Extra: small picture update.

Angry Hawkfish

New red rock nem (present to self for getting a job)

The Fuge Monster (After the move I didn't want to release him back into the display because I plan to add cleaner shrimps and he was getting aggressive)

Shot of my sump!  I am so excited to have one now.  So much better than HOB equipment!

Offline bobdino

• Juvenile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 22:26:29 »
Nice set up, really like the hawkfish.
what I would do on a reset is add bacteria not do water changes. imo you are not letting the tank cycle. I use seachem stability according to the instructions. the bacteria will offset your ammonia spike.

Offline bobdino

• Juvenile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 22:59:24 »
Just read an interesting post on care4reefs.com under reef chemistry. It talks about an ammonia spike and their cat litter box. Don't know if you have cats or not, just thought it was interesting.

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 06:11:08 »
Just read an interesting post on care4reefs.com under reef chemistry. It talks about an ammonia spike and their cat litter box. Don't know if you have cats or not, just thought it was interesting.

Could you link that post.  My cat's liter box is in the same room fairly close to the tank.  When we moved, I was worried that it might become an issue.  On a side note, the ammonia dropped to 0.25 ppm this morning. 

Offline bobdino

• Juvenile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 08:19:38 »

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 08:49:16 »
Very interesting read.  It could very well be the problem.  My wife has been lazy on cleaning the liter box.  I may have to move the liter box.  Now the only issue is we have a one bedroom apartment and don't want the liter box in the bedroom.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 14:09:11 »
That was a interesting read over at care4reefs...... 

300g tub o fish