2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: WTB - 350gph pump for SUMP  (Read 1070 times)

Offline MasonRob

• I'd rather be on the gulf
  • Fry
WTB - 350gph pump for SUMP
« on: December 30, 2010, 09:34:20 »
Setting up 29g tank with 10g sump tank.  Wanting to buy 350 gph pump for sump unit.
Anyone have anything?

Thanks in advance
MasonRob

Offline Joel

• Adult
Re: WTB - 350gph pump for SUMP
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 10:13:33 »
How many feet head of pressure will there be on the pump you are wanting? In other words, how many feet up is it from the pump to the waters surface of the in the 29 gallon? Once that is determined, it will be easier to figure out what size pump your going to need. A 29 gallon only needs 120 to 175 GPH turn over rate through the filter.

For example; if the sump sits on the floor and the top frame on the 29 gallon is 4' off the ground, you would want a pump that flows approx 120 to 175 gallons of water @ 4' of head.

There are plenty of power heads that can flow approx 350 GPH But they typically have tiny impellers not designed for any back pressure (head) on them and their flow rate drastically drops. Now, take a return pump that claims it flows 350 GPH that is designed for back pressure (head) and will flow significantly more water than the power head although they are both rated @ 350 GPH.

To know what pump you need, you need to know what the head pressure is and then choose a pump that flows the desired amount of water at that head height.

Another concern I have is how are you going to drain water from the 29 to the sump? I don't think that the approx 150 GPH water flow has enough velocity to prevent bubbles from accumulating in the "U" tube  of a overflow box and likely will cause an overflow. Drilling the tank may be a safer, more reliable option. (I can drill it for you if needed)

Joel

Offline MasonRob

• I'd rather be on the gulf
  • Fry
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 12:13:02 »
Trying to get my college age son who is home for the holidays to measure but he must still be asleep.
So my guestimate is somewhere in the 44-48" height from floor to top of aquarium.  Pump will sit in sump an inch or two above that.

Is that approximation good enough?

Newbie!  MasonRob

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 14:31:36 »
Assuming the head heigth is approx 4', you have several options.

Quiet one model 1200 flows approx 160GPH @ 4"

Eheim 1250 flows approx 165 GPH @ 4'

Mag Drive model #2 flows approx 125 GPH @ 4'

Mag drive model # 3 flow approx 270 @ 4' but can slowed down with a ball valve

RIO model 1100 flows approx 180 GPH @ 4'

Of these the Eheim is the best quality pump but any of these will work. Hopefully someone has a nice used one at a fair price. If not, I know for sure of at least 1 local business that stocks the Eheim, quiet one & mag drive pumps.

Hope this helps.....Joel

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 16:19:11 »
Joel knows what he is talking about when it comes to aquarium pumps and designing  aquarium sumps and refugiums.   :-ThumbUpsm He designed my current 125g refugium/sump and built previous sumps for me as well.   Based on the lists of pumps provided below, I would go with the Eheim...may cost more up front but will provide more years of trouble free service in my opinion. The Mag Drives are probably the most common and affordable. Good luck!

Assuming the head heigth is approx 4', you have several options.

Quiet one model 1200 flows approx 160GPH @ 4"

Eheim 1250 flows approx 165 GPH @ 4'

Mag Drive model #2 flows approx 125 GPH @ 4'

Mag drive model # 3 flow approx 270 @ 4' but can slowed down with a ball valve

RIO model 1100 flows approx 180 GPH @ 4'

Of these the Eheim is the best quality pump but any of these will work. Hopefully someone has a nice used one at a fair price. If not, I know for sure of at least 1 local business that stocks the Eheim, quiet one & mag drive pumps.

Hope this helps.....Joel

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 08:21:43 »
Thanks for the kudos Tim, appreciate it.

I agree that the eheim, although a little more pricey, is the best bet. I have one I have had since high school (20 + years) that is on impeller #2 and still running like a champ.

Joel