2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: LEDs  (Read 823 times)

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
LEDs
« on: June 24, 2010, 22:45:16 »
So I'm starting to get my lists together to buy some LED stuff.   Definitely doing Cree XRE'.    A common setup is to use the Meanwell ELN-60-48D power supplies.   Which will power about 15 LED's.   I'm going to do the Meanwell, as I can use my Apex controller to control the output of these power supplies.   So I want to control the Blues and Whites on separate power supplies.   But we can also match these up so that they run full power with the proper number of LED's the power supplies have voltage and current trim pots.

Power Supply   ELN-60-48D      $32.95   Need to Power 12-15 CREE LED's
Power Supply   ELN-30-27D      $24.95   Need to Power 7-8 Cree LED's
Power Supply   ELN-30-24D      $24.50   Need to Power 6-7 Cree LED's

Anyway,  for a 16LED (8 white, 8 blue) system for my frag tank, it looks like we can do it for about $200  (Supply your own labor and wire)

If I scale it up to run half a side of my 90gal  (30 3 Watt LED's), it'll be about $300  ($600 for the whole tank)

Non-Dimmable power supplies/drivers are readily availiable.  The special orders are 2-4 weeks from the factory.

Anyone interested, shoot me a PM.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
Re: LEDs
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 23:57:20 »
Be a man Paul.  ;D  If you dont want to go dimmable, just do the math and put enough LEDs in series with a high wattage resistors.  Super cheap, and can be more efficient than Switching supplies if you do it right.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 08:20:49 »
ouch 600 for a 90  what would it be for a 150 like 1100 1200?
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline motley

• Fry
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 10:19:23 »
let me know how you like them when you finally get them up and running.  im also thinking of switching my 65 to led's.   it's expensive but you will not have to do a bulb change for about 6years.  and in the long run you will save alot of money on electricty and bulb changes.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 10:21:32 »
Be a man Paul.  ;D  If you dont want to go dimmable, just do the math and put enough LEDs in series with a high wattage resistors.  Super cheap, and can be more efficient than Switching supplies if you do it right.

Nm now that I am actually on a real computer and read your post. I see that you need dimmable :)
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 18:28:43 »
I purchased mine through reefledlights.com  The guy that runs it is great.  has answered every question I have emailed him.  I have purchased twice with him with total satisfaction.  i believe his prices are good also.  stocks the dimmable meanwells also.  My first light i went with a 50/50 mix of whites and blues 12 leds of each.  I was able to check this light with a lux meter and got the exact same readings as my 20k 250 watt halides.  the color with the 50/50 mix is also just like a 20 k bulb that I have.  I am thinking of putting another 4 whites on it to bring the brightness up some and not be so blue.
Jeff

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 21:36:51 »
Nanotuners has slightly better prices.   Not sure about the service though.   Everyone is only carrying the large 60w 48volt meanwell driver.  It's not the best option if you want to run less than 15 LED's on a branch.   Also watch the kits at reefledlights, some of the driver options are only going to give you half power on the LED.

And yes, I want dimmable......the Apex Controller has 0-10v analog output ports.   I can set the ramp slope and max value to anything I want.  I've always wondered what stress is caused by lights immediately on or immediately off.

Anyway....all good info.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 22:12:50 »
If it were me, I wouldn't run more LED's than your driver can power, otherwise your not getting 100% out of them. Drivers aren't that expensive. If your interested in LED's a guide can be found here:

http://saltgeek.com/projects/ledlighting.htm

If your serious you can probably stop out and see them. I love the royal blue leds! They bring out incredible color.