2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 55 gal sump setup desgin challenge  (Read 570 times)

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
55 gal sump setup desgin challenge
« on: August 03, 2010, 14:57:11 »
Hey Everyone,

I am using a 55 gal tank for my sump on my 125 build.  I am just drawing myself into circles figuring a design as I am not sure how exactly I should put it all together.

The sump will have 2 x 1" drains from either side of the tank feeding it.  There is also 2 x 3/4" returns that will go to either side of the tank fed by a Iwaki WMD-20RLXT-115.  It will also have a Coralife Super Skimmer 220 that requires 8"x9" of foot space and is 25.5" tall.

I want to have a fuge section, skimmer section, bubble trap, and then a return section.  Can anyone help me please?

I created a grid pattern layout for a 55 gal tank.  It shows the front, top, and side views.  If anyone has an idea and can draw it on there and email it to me or draw it any way possible... please help me out!  

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/chisledice/55Galtemplate001.jpg

Thanks all!
"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
Re: 55 gal sump setup desgin challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 15:43:38 »
Wes,

I'll be building a similar sump, if I can ever find a 55 :)

You're plan should be fine, I would maybe switch the skimmer and fuge sections to allow skimmer bubbles a little more time to break. Make your inlet/skimmer sections big enough any filtersocks, reactors and your skimmer (with some room to upgrade).
If you're going to have an ATO, a small(less than 6 inches) return section will suffice. As far a bubble traps, on my current sump I used a 2 baffle bubble trap. It looks just like the regular 3 baffle. one but without the last baffle. You end up with and over then under water flow pattern. Space the baffles around 1-1/2" apart, 2" is even better. This slows down the velocity of the water so bubbles don't get thru as easy. That cover everything? :)
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
Re: 55 gal sump setup desgin challenge
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 16:05:22 »
HAHA... that's why I couldn't sell you my 55!  ::)

How should I split the drains up?  One to the fuge and one to the skimmer?  Or split one to go to the skimmer and fuge and the other to the skimmer?
"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Capt. James T. Kirk