2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 40B sump  (Read 4014 times)

Offline JSellars

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
40B sump
« on: March 03, 2020, 21:16:19 »
I’m looking for any criticism on my sump design. This will be for my 80gal frag style tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JSellars

• Adult
Re: 40B sump
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 21:17:05 »
This is the one I am trying to copy, gives a little better visual of what I’m trying to achieve

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 21:52:18 »
gonna be sweet

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 12:31:09 »
Well, i posted on a FB page, no one there seems to like the layout. Guess it’s back to the drawing board.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 12:34:48 »
Why are they shaming it? I think it’s great. The only thing I could see being an issue is the size of the skimmer area.

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 13:04:18 »
I like the layout.

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 13:23:27 »
They say it has too many baffles, the skimmer area isn’t big enough and the refugium area isn’t big enough. I can adjust any of it, I’ve never used a skimmer so I was guessing on size.

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 13:53:26 »
You could gain extra room by putting baffles closer together. Two inches is probably a little big.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 15:40:15 »
so thinking that this is 36"long  x 15" tall x18" wide.
if you have 6 inches in the return pump section with the other sections 12" in the incoming prefilter section and 9.5" in all the others during operation that gives you about 20 gallons operating level so think 12 gallons free if your frag tank siphons/drains down. is that enough?
I don't know how many gallons will flow down.
  The one you are modeling has a slight drop as the water goes over weirs so you don't have back flow. from the filter socks to the return is a constant 9.5 inches.
 Depending on gph you may need the distance between weirs to trap bubbles. How many GPH are you contemplating?
one thing is to determine the optimum depth for your skimmer then design the skimmer section.
If the fuge is to grow varmints to feed your tank what are they eating?
 i actually run my fuge separately using the flow from the siphon part of the bean animal to feed  the skimmer and the overflow to feed the fuge. This allows me to adjust the flow through the fuge without changing the tank flow. plus the fuge gets nutrition rich water. in the pic my fuge is on the left using mesh and eggcrate to block large objects from the return pump. this also breaks micro-bubbles eliminating one bubble trap. if i kick up the flow
i see bubbles coming through the two baffle weir from the  skimmer section because they are  too close together and lack one of the baffles of a classic bubble trap.
  i realize that this is  my second sump build and if it develops problems i can correct them on the next sump.
 man, is this fun or what? good luck!

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 16:26:03 »
I honestly am not sure on most of the questions you asked lmao! I’m planning on running a Jaebo DCP 5000 return pump which is 855 to 1320 gph. I’m using the factory installed overflow box on the 80gal, but I’m changing the overflow plumbing to a Herbie overflow style, so I’m not sure how much water would drain down on a power loss. I’d imagine it would just be the amount of water above the main drain tube in the overflow which should be less than 5gal (I’m guessing). I have no idea on a skimmer, I have never even owned one so i am guessing on the footprint needed for one.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 20:32:43 »
yeah i tend to get wordy... the amount of water that you have to have in the sump return section has to be enough to keep the pump from running dry on start up. so what i did was increase the size of that section compared  to my first sump where I made it just big enough to house the pump.

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 16:35:15 »
Well, I’m in the process of just making a copy of the triton sump kit that a lot of people buy. I’m not 100% sure on my measurements (ignore the old markings on the tank) but I made these baffles 10.5” tall. Need to figure out if this will work or not.

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 16:35:52 »

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2020, 18:26:37 »
Both skimmers I’ve used in the hobby require a max of 9” of water. I would find your skimmer range before securing that baffle. I’m sure you’re already aware of that though. You seem to have put a lot of thought into this sump and that’s admirable!

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2020, 18:30:50 »
Both skimmers I’ve used in the hobby require a max of 9” of water. I would find your skimmer range before securing that baffle. I’m sure you’re already aware of that though. You seem to have put a lot of thought into this sump and that’s admirable!

What’s a reasonably priced skimmer for around 100gal of water? I guess i need to research what equipment I’ll be using and see what the requirements are

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2020, 19:19:42 »
I've had 3 Reef Octopus skimmers of the years.  Using a big external one now.  Look for one that uses a valve to control the water level in the skimmer.  I hate the ones that you rotate the vertical tube to change the water exit.

Your also best to look at the "Space Saver" designs, where the pump sits inside the main body....just read the instructions, make sure it's going to be easily servicable.

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2020, 13:08:20 »
Well, I got really lucky and someone on Facebook was nice enough to share their file with me for the baffles he made for his sump. Got it all cut today. Pretty excited about this now!

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2020, 17:44:10 »
Dry fit and it looks good! Didn’t realize I used smoked black acrylic, thought it was black. Looks pretty good! BUT.... I think this tank leaks. Doing a test now. I’ll probably end up just buying a brand new tank. I should have known better than to buy a used tank.

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2020, 09:47:03 »
How much does it cost you to do baffles like that? I'm looking at getting a sump together for my frag setup.

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2020, 10:13:48 »
How much does it cost you to do baffles like that? I'm looking at getting a sump together for my frag setup.
I luckily have access to material and a laser, so I cut them out myself. But there are a couple companies that sell these baffle kits for around $150, which is still cheaper than most pre made sumps, and gives you the option to customize the layout based on the equipment you are using.

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 20:49:56 »
Well, the last tank had a very slow leak, luckily I tested it before I glued baffles in. So I stopped in petco today while the sale is going on and got a new 40B for $50 and got all the baffles siliconed in! Guess I need to start a build thread for this tank, or maybe this one can be moved?

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 08:53:02 »
Nice job Jeremy, glad to see you are enjoying the build phase of the tank. I'm assuming the larger sections are for skimmer and refugium, what is the function of the partial length baffle next to the return?

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2020, 10:05:16 »
Nice job Jeremy, glad to see you are enjoying the build phase of the tank. I'm assuming the larger sections are for skimmer and refugium, what is the function of the partial length baffle next to the return?
Filter cups, refugium, large skimmer area to give plenty of options for a skimmer, then that last baffle is a bubble trap

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2020, 13:00:56 »
Gotcha. I was looking at the picture wrong. The height of that last baffle gave me the illusion that it didn’t extend across the full width.

Offline JSellars

• Adult
40B sump
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2020, 18:33:29 »
I now have my very first skimmer! Not sure on the quality of it, but it’s brand new and best part is that it was free!

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2020, 19:56:10 »
Is that the SK181? Or SK184?

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2020, 20:09:00 »
Is that the SK181? Or SK184?
SK181. Know anything about them? I’m clueless on how they work. I’m actually even doubting I put it together correctly lmao!

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2020, 20:35:47 »
Yup that’s the last skimmer I used. Actually loved the thing. Used it on about 150 gallons of volume. Always opened up the air just a little bit and then adjusted the rest with the gate valve.