2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Ric propagation question  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
Ric propagation question
« on: October 17, 2011, 20:01:37 »
Well... I want to propagate my most prized Ric. I admit this one worries me  :-\

Now understand I propagate rics all the time and do quite well IMO. Its just this one is special and I wanted to get any opinions or advice on how to cut (1/2 or 1/4?) or if I should just leave it alone.

He is a early pic of it. It is bigger now and in great health.

Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Ric propagation question
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 20:21:45 »
How long has it been growing?   Letting them split on their own is the safest way.

However, the rics that I have, I hacked and slashed, glued the mess to a rock and they always came back.   If you really want to force the issue, I would just cut off about 25-30% off the edge.  (Stay away from the mouth the first time)   Put the frag in a little lower light.   If all  goes well, it should regrow a mouth.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 20:48:09 »
How long has it been growing?   Letting them split on their own is the safest way.

However, the rics that I have, I hacked and slashed, glued the mess to a rock and they always came back.   If you really want to force the issue, I would just cut off about 25-30% off the edge.  (Stay away from the mouth the first time)   Put the frag in a little lower light.   If all  goes well, it should regrow a mouth.

I didnt have such great luck when i was greedy and went for 1/4s.  Never had problems with 1/2s
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 21:13:23 »
I didnt have such great luck when i was greedy and went for 1/4s.  Never had problems with 1/2s

I'm just saying if you take 1/4 off the current polyp, it will more than likely not be harmed by the even and grow back.  Not divide the current polyp into 4 pieces.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 21:25:59 »
My understanding is that when fragging rics, for best chances of survival, you MUST have part of the mouth in the pieces being fragged "cut it right down the middle".  The couple times I've done this I've had great results, and within 15 minutes they have pulled themselves around a sealed the wound shut.  If your looking to sell the frag, I say do it, if you just looking to get more for yourself, I say target feed to get it to split naturally.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 21:53:52 »
My understanding is that when fragging rics, for best chances of survival, you MUST have part of the mouth in the pieces being fragged "cut it right down the middle".  The couple times I've done this I've had great results, and within 15 minutes they have pulled themselves around a sealed the wound shut.  If your looking to sell the frag, I say do it, if you just looking to get more for yourself, I say target feed to get it to split naturally.

I've never had a problem, mine always regrew mouths.

Also, one word of caution, frag in a bowl outside of the tank.   Let the frags quit "oozing" before putting back in the tank.   They can give off some nasty chemicals when you cut them.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 22:34:21 »
i used rubber bands and did them in 1/4 but it took a month or so  and i had 4
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline itsalifestyle

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 16:21:27 »
I have had really good luck with doing 1/2 never lost any 1/4 I have also done really well but have lost a few so if it was me target feed or do 1/2 dont take the chance but if you do let me know ill take one once healed:)