2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Menards... cant wait  (Read 8363 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Menards... cant wait
« on: December 22, 2011, 19:31:56 »
Heard they are building a Menards on 741 just south of the Dayton Mall.  Its going where the Wal-mart use to be before they built the new one.

Always hear of deals people get, the one up North is just to far to casually go to.... now one will be alot closer

Offline Viggen

Re: Menards... cant wait
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 21:08:35 »
yea... also heard great things about that store & I have never been inside one

The old walmart has been gone for a few weeks, it's where the old JAck's Aquarium was.... no clue when they are suppose to open
300g tub o fish

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 00:16:44 »
I prefer Menards over HD and Lowes.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 05:29:52 »
I prefer Menards over HD and Lowes.

+1

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 09:12:41 »
Been there.  It's neither HD, Lowe's, or Wal-Mart, kinda like in-between.  Bought a nice light fixture from the one in Troy for over the dining room table, but I  generally wouldn't go there for stuff I buy from Lowes.  It is a neat store, though.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 09:23:22 »
I like menards they have some killer deals, other stuff not soo much... but i deff shop it(I stop in the ones up nort almost every sunday)... I heard they are wanting to be functionally by spring of 2012... so we should see it shortly...

I loved menards when they first hit the area hard, their prices were significantly lower than lowes and home depot... but they have slowly crept up over the years. they are still good but some stuff just isn't a deal anymore. and some stuff isn't the greatest quality... it's kinda like a harbor freight in the sense that on alot of stuff you get what you pay for.

God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 09:41:01 »
I work right next to this location and was excited to hear they are building it. When ever I go visit Mike I always visit Menards. It is a cool store with good prices. Wonder what effect it will have on Lowes and HomeDepot. That is a lot to have all within one mile of eachother.

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 10:02:31 »
I know talking to a manager from Lowes in Troy the Menards in Tipp cut their sales 15% and really have not recouped since. I think Home Depot took a good hit between the Menards in Sydney and the one here in Tipp.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 10:28:59 »
I can say safely that I almost never shop home depot... I may only go into that store 1-5 times a year... and almost 99% of the time I dont buy anything, i am usually just looking for something and lowes didn't have it and i figured i would just cruise across the street to see if in the off chance home depot has it(but they never do)....

Lowes fills 80-90% of my home improvement needs... and Menards fills the remaining 10-20%... this is mostly due to me frequenting menards much less than lowes..., with one going in so close to home, and on the way home from work(as Brian stated ;) ) lol I would imagine it may be closer to 50/50 before long... Ironically I buy alot of dog treats, bird seed, and misc snacks from menards... I always thought it was wierd they would stock most of the snacks/dry goods they do, but they have some killer prices on some of it(puts kroger and the grocers to shame)... I usually always get a pack of rootbeer, and some soup mixes at minimum every time I go haha.

I'm excited for it to be in this market down here.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 11:40:22 »
I work right next to this location and was excited to hear they are building it. When ever I go visit Mike I always visit Menards. It is a cool store with good prices.

It seems to me that Menards carries quite a bit of deversity that neither of the big box stores do. Try to get schedule 80 PVC at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 12:13:54 »
Try to get schedule 80 PVC at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Isn't this special order?  :-bannanna

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 12:17:43 »
Isn't this special order?  :-bannanna

Not at Menards, they carry it in stock. Not sure about special ordering it, I'd just go to Pickrell Brothers vs. waiting on a special order.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 16:47:42 »
hmmmmm... i dooo need me a new spud gun rofl... i wonder how sch80 holds up vs 40... vs price
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 16:53:56 by Boonjob »

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 18:16:36 »
Not a huge fan of mensnards lowes is were I get 95% of everything
SIZE DOES MATTER