2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: rip Pabst :'(  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Ballyhoo

• Juvenile
rip Pabst :'(
« on: May 13, 2012, 17:51:16 »
Lost my beloved male clownfish to a filter intake this morning.  :'(
my female clown seems very depressed, not swimming much and not eating.

I would like to eventually replace Pabst for her, she's a bit bossy so I don't know if she'd welcome another male or pair of clowns. Any advice?
As they both sank to the bottom of the river, the frog said "do you mind if I ask you something? You said there would be no logic in your stinging me. Why did you do it?" "It has nothing to do with logic," the drowning scorpion sadly replied. "It's just self destruction is my nature."

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
Re: rip Pabst :'(
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 21:15:11 »
If the new clown is 1/2 to 3/4 her size, and has always been with a bigger clown, you should be fine. Protandrous species like clownfish are born as sexually immature males, then change to males, then to females.

In a collection of juveniles, the biggest clown will become a sexually mature male, and then a female. The next biggest juvenile will become a male, and the rest will stay juvenile until one of the two top spots becomes vacant.

If you got a pair of juveniles, they'd fight with each other until one outgrew the other and became the male.

Were it me, I'd get a known juvenile (captive raised if not captive bred) that's no more than 3/4 her size.

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
Re: rip Pabst :'(
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 01:27:32 »
Next one should be named high life...ie- another hipster beer :p