2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Hola,  (Read 1682 times)

Offline ElizaJeann

• Egg
Hola,
« on: January 13, 2013, 14:36:51 »
New to the forum, and the fish!
I recently got promoted at my job, and was wanting to start a reef tank. Anyone got any pointers, ideas, a shopping list (which would be very helpful!)?

Please, don't hold back any ideas!

Elizabeth

Offline chromiumlux

Re: Hola,
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 14:45:30 »
The first step is to decide what types of corals and fish you want to keep. This will help you determine the size of tank you want as well as the equipment you will need to be successful. This of course will also depend on your budget.
Read everything you can on the net and in magazines. Ask all the questions you need answers to. The only dumb question is the one you dont ask. We are here to help you. You will find a plethura of knowledge and great friends here at Ohio Reef. We have many resources available here.
By the way....Welcome to the club.

Andy
Chromiumlux

Offline joncat24

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 14:59:58 »
Ditto what Andy said!! Ask away, someone here will know the answer for sure.

Welcome to the addiction!!!
John

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 15:27:58 »
The first step is to decide what types of corals and fish you want to keep. This will help you determine the size of tank you want as well as the equipment you will need to be successful. This of course will also depend on your budget.
Read everything you can on the net and in magazines. Ask all the questions you need answers to. The only dumb question is the one you dont ask. We are here to help you. You will find a plethura of knowledge and great friends here at Ohio Reef. We have many resources available here.
By the way....Welcome to the club.

Andy

1st off, Welcome to Ohio Reef. It's always nice to follow new ones coming into the hobby. I also agree with Andy. The very 1st part of any project is to figure out what you like. Then, you go from there. If all you want is a few corals & a few small fish, you can get away with a smaller tank. If you want tangs or other large fish, you want a larger tank. If you just want a nice starter tank to get your "feet wet". Then a 40 gallon breeder is a good start. Just my ideas.

Offline itsalifestyle

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 17:15:49 »
Welcome If I was you I would start small make sure you really enjoy the hobby something like 30 40 gallon it's a lot of money and work to build a larger reef I have a 34 solana it's was my first reef and loved its easy to maintain and easy on the checking account and great learning tool I'm in the process of setting up a 120 gallon reef and I'm sure glad i have few year experience if not it would have cost a lot more and lots of redo along the way good luck this is a great group more then willing to help out weather it's in a build or with a problem down the road

Offline woltersb

• Adult
Hola,
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 18:29:07 »
Welcome!