2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Z28 camaro.... Very impressive GM!  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Viggen

Z28 camaro.... Very impressive GM!
« on: October 15, 2013, 22:58:03 »
Never been a fan of much of anything from gm.... But the new camaro z28 just clocked a 7.37.47 around the nurburgring.  Very impressive I must say!

The 991 Porsche 911 Carerra S clocked it in 7:37.9, the Lexus LFA in 7:38, the Corvette ZR1 and Ferrari 458 both posted times of 7:38, while the Lamborghini Murcielago, Mercedes SLS AMG, and Ford GT all came in at 7:40.
300g tub o fish

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: Z28 camaro.... Very impressive GM!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 08:48:53 »
Pretty cool, and in the rain... GM estimates it would be 6sec quicker on dry track.

GM's testing was that it needed to complete 1000 miles of track with no more than a 2% track variance from target time within a 24 hour period... pretty cool.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 08:51:55 »
I also have never been much of a GM fan. But the new Z28 really is a head turner. I think GM may have finally gotten one right.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 08:57:50 »
I think GM may have finally gotten one right.

The '11 Corvette ZR1 slammed out a 7:19:63

Offline Viggen

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 09:03:06 »
To me were they screwed up on the car is its weight.... Still a tank... But it does look much better then anything with that camaro badge for a very long time.

The new c7 vette has some impressive stats and finally is suppose to have a descent interior. 

Yea I am sure 6 sec quicker.... I have driven on a wet racetrack and holy crap is it slick.... When you. Cross the normal driving line it literally feels like you are on a sheet of ice.  2% in 1k miles..... Very cool! 
300g tub o fish

Offline Viggen

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 09:07:31 »
Not sure where the article I read had the zr1 at a 7.38 and the article also messed up on the 458.  It wasn't the 458 but the f430 that did a 7.39

http://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times/lap-times-top-100/
300g tub o fish

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 09:12:51 »
To me were they screwed up on the car is its weight.... Still a tank...
The fact this thing is a tank compared to the competitors in the same time bracket is what I find most amazing. 7.0litre v8 doing work with that suspension.

Track start was damp; average corner speed was 76mph in the rain, straight got up to 161mph in the rain during this run... Pretty cool

They still have yet to post the Stingray times, Which should be interesting

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 09:37:29 »
The '11 Corvette ZR1 slammed out a 7:19:63

I am not a fan of Vettes at all. To me they don't look right. They haven't been built right. They just felt cheap. The 14' looks better tho. Has more carbon fiber and less fiberglass and plastic. And is the fastest production Vette ever.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 10:41:07 »
Oh I agree, the vette hasnt looked that great over the last couple decades. But for the price the last few years you cant beat the machine performance. Its 1/2 the price tage of some of the other cars in its bracket, and it doesnt take much to make em even better perfromance wise. They are fun to drive, but ride terrible and look just as bad inside and out imo.

But me personally, I will stick to more the iconic American Muscle look and mah Trucks ;)

The super cars dont do much for me, I have no intention of owning one, even if I had the cash I could think of 1000 other things to buy with it that'd tickle my pickle more.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 11:12:43 »
I think with the c5 is a descent step forward with the c6 being the first vette to have the proper performance for gm's top sporty car.  C4 and older.... Crap :)

I have no problem with fiberglass bodies on Cars and feel they do have their place due to being lighter vs steel..  My next car I hope will be a used lotus which also uses fiberglass.  What I haven't been a fan of is the horrible interior of the vette's.

I do think its interesting that gm doesn't even consider the vette as a sports car, at least in base trim.  With the c6 vette it was a grand touring car and not until zo6 or better trim was it a sports car.  The difference in performance between those models is immense.....

I have only seen one of the new vette's on the road and my impression in person was the same as in the magazines.  I thought the front looks nice as well as the side profile.... But I can't stand the rear if the car.  It was driving down the road with a 60 ish yr old female driver.....

With the zr1 being the fastest vette ever..... Many tracks, the zo6 was faster!  Slightly less straight line speed however better handling and also easier to put the power down coming out of turns.....  Been on the track with numerous zo6..... Extremely impressive

300g tub o fish

Offline volcano

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 20:30:06 »
Viggen, go check out the new corvette coming out!  Now that is one mean machine w/ only a $59k price tag.  Not bad for what you get when considering the price tag on the Ferrari.

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews.com/files/2013/01/2014Vette-0077v2.jpg

Pretty car, but still not a government motors fan.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 21:03:34 by volcano »

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 22:44:36 »
On this episode of Top Gear (American) Tanner races one thru the streets of Detroit. Its at the end of the episode of course.
http://www.history.com/shows/top-gear/videos/top-gear-americas-biggest-cars

Offline Viggen

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 16:07:55 »
$59k is about twice what I would be able to spend thus it will be a long time before they are in my price range.  I also do not like owning vehicles that are seen 20 plus times a day :)

I saw that top gear a few weeks ago.... Good stuff!

300g tub o fish

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 16:20:34 »
I also do not like owning vehicles that are seen 20 plus times a day

haha, at 59k, I think you can double this number

Offline volcano

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 20:16:37 »
Here you go Viggen, this is one you won't see on the road.

It's still $59k and a lot less power than a new vette.  However, it is far prettier and much more unique.