2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Anemone in a 20 gallon tank a good or bad idea?  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Joe_Fish

• Fry
Anemone in a 20 gallon tank a good or bad idea?
« on: August 05, 2019, 03:29:50 »
So,  plans to have zoa's,   possibly GSP on the walls of the tank.    Everything else is kind of up in the air honestly I just know I like the sorta multi-colored look of zoas,  and I like the idea of an Anemone in the tank.   But the tanks only a 20 gallon tank so I kind of wonder if they might just get a bit too large for the tank.    Whats your thoughts on them in smaller tanks?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Anemone in a 20 gallon tank a good or bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 08:47:55 »
Get a bubble tip.  They can get large but you can actually take a pair of scissors to them and cut them up.  Let them heal up and sell one.  Not sure if you can cut them in quarters but I have personally cut one in half.  The only hard thing is getting them off a rock to where you can cut them.  Many will also split on their own.
Jeff

Offline Jooak9

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 21:14:45 »
How about a rock flower anemone?  I’ve seen small tanks with a bunch of them before.  I’ve never personally owned one but have investigated them a lot.  My current research says they might be a good fit for small tanks.  Anyone else know much about rock flowers?  I read their light demands are not super high as well and they generally stay put more than other nems.

Offline cgrogan

• Fry
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 09:49:18 »
Sorry this is late: We put a sebae anemone in our 20 gallon. It lasted all of three weeks. On the other hand, our rock flower anemone has done great.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 13:24:59 »
thanks, the info is illuminating