2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Tav's Tank 2.0  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Tavangel

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Fry
Tav's Tank 2.0
« on: January 25, 2020, 15:24:22 »
Hey all, first tank thread on the site after lurking for awhile. I had a fluval evo 13.5 for about 1.5 years as a starter tank for learning everything. Got pretty confident, and did some research into making my own DIY style nano tank w/ a sump. Decided on a 10g Aquamaxx as the display and made a 10g sump to go with it. Installed an eshopps nano, and a little bit of plumbing. Finnaly, found a nice stand at ikea, and heavily modified it to reinforce for the weight of the tank and hold plumbing in place.

Transferred over everything from my evo 13.5 in a single go and everyone seems to be pretty happy! I didnt take many pictures during the DIY process, but can share more info if anyone is interested.

Offline JSellars

• Adult
Re: Tav's Tank 2.0
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 20:36:11 »
Nice setup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 22:23:50 »
Looks great. You going to do anything to the back glass? I painted mine black. I think it gives the tank more depth. I’ve seen some in blue that looks nice also
Jeff

Offline Tavangel

• Fry
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 09:19:34 »
Nice setup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Still watching it quite closely everyday to make sure things are settling in.

Looks great. You going to do anything to the back glass? I painted mine black. I think it gives the tank more depth. I’ve seen some in blue that looks nice also
Jeff
Thanks! That's a great idea. I think i'm going to try and find some sort of black stick on? I have an old IM Nuvo 20 and those have a pretty thin peel n stick on the back glass i think. It should help hide the plumbing in the back too.

Offline Tavangel

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 15:55:22 »
Hey guys, long time no see! Since the craziness of 2020 started early last year I didn't have much time to spend on the tank. Tried to keep up with basic maintenance, but unfortunately didnt escape without some casualties. :(

I don't think I chopped up frozen food fine enough for my scooter blenny, so she ended up getting impacted(?) and went from 100% to 0% in days, was awful

Also, the leather coral & GSP slowly slowly receded & I didnt notice until it was too late since I didn't spend much time with the tank. The leather coral is still in the back, but isn't opening up much at all.

I think the lighting was to blame, as I have never used a Par meter to get an accurate reading, but just 'guesstimated' from other sources of info only. I have an AI Prime, and used the David Saxby schedule for about a year now.

Switched it to the Karen Nano from the signature line, and am planning to rent a Par meter to get the ranges correct this time.

On the plus side, I got noticeable growth from ALL LPS coral. Soft tissue growth was significant, many of the existing heads split, and there was a little skeletal growth as well.