2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: QT Questions - Velvet Removal  (Read 1264 times)

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
QT Questions - Velvet Removal
« on: February 17, 2021, 08:18:04 »
After years of dodging the bullet, it has happened.....   :'(   Had my tank wiped out by velvet, at least I'm pretty sure that's what it was. Now I have a couple questions....

1) How long does my tank need to be without fish to completely wipe out velvet? Ich? May as well make sure I'm DD free... LOL

2) I have everything for a QT tank except meds. What process should I do when I bring home a new fish to QT? What meds should/shouldn't I dose to make sure I don't reintroduce anything back into my tank?

3) Thoughts/suggestions on setting up a QT would be appreciated.

4) From what I've read, I'm still okay to add coral and inverts during the fishless period, is that correct?

Thanks,

Gary

Offline dbowman

• Adult
Re: QT Questions - Velvet Removal
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 10:13:06 »
Sorry to hear about your tank.
the adage about pilots seems to apply. there are bold reefers and there are old reefers but very few old bold reefers.

setting up a quarantine tank i put it next to my basement sump. now i read that aerosol transmission prevention would require 6-10 feet separation between tanks. i have a pilot system that would work for observation but if i were to use prophylactic medications i would set up a hospital tank (bare bottom, floss biomedia, plastic shelters) that i could clean out at the end of treatment.

1,2,3,  there is a lot of experience on here that can guide you and me. i am sure they will be able to help you.
 4. there is some concern that ich and velvet can hitchhike with coral and inverts.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 10:32:06 »
I am setting up my QT as more of a hospital tank with bare bottom, HOB filter and PVC pipe as hideouts.

As far as corals carrying ich/velvet is that something that can be addressed by dipping corals before adding to the tank? If so, how should they be dipped?

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 11:12:04 »
my  go to reference is Reef 2 Reef. 80 day fallow period will get rid of ich and 42 days for velvet

peroxide dip maybe?

Offline Swindec

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 16:42:16 »
Almost everything i have read says 76 days. I watched one video from the guy who does saltwater tv that was just a few days longer. Most people say to follow hubblefish for qt methods. One thing that confused me at the beginning was all the different copper products available and the level to keep them at. Everything down to the test kit for each kind of copper matters. I ended up getting the hanna copper checker and have been much happier with it than trying to read api kit.  I ended up using cupramine and started low and worked up to 0.50ppm. I did lose a wrasse which they say are very sensitive to copper. I'll try to attach a pic I took from a hubblefish post that helped me determine kits and types.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 16:58:41 »
I’ve done a lot of reading over on hubble.fish today. They have a lot of good info. You’re right about all the copper products.

I’m trying to decide now when I start up my QT tank for a new fish do I just want to go ahead and treat with copper just in case or do I just observe them make sure they don’t develop it.