2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Ghurlag?s Nuvo 25 Lagoon  (Read 2916 times)

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Ghurlag?s Nuvo 25 Lagoon
« on: February 21, 2022, 19:39:06 »
Hey, all!  Lots going on lately so I?ve been MIA, and my Nuvo 10 is in major disrepair?

That said, I?ve purchased most of the bits for my next build, hopefully a bit more stable than the 10 gallon reef.  I really like the look and function of the Nuvo aquarium line, so a few weeks ago I ordered a Nuvo 25 Lagoon.  It?s safely stowed in the basement while I put together the rest of the pieces - one of which is a stand solution, as the Nuvo stand, with shipping, is nearly $600 from most places!

Tonight I ordered an MP10, a couple Hydra 32s, rock, sand, heater, etc.

If anyone has any guidance on a stand build for a 24?x20? footprint that will reliably be able to hold much more than the tank will weigh full, please chime in.  I want it to look good, and am open to overbuilt engineering.  I have a kreg  jig for some slicker joining.  I?ll try to keep the club up to date with my progress.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
Re: Ghurlag?s Nuvo 25 Lagoon
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 20:49:23 »
Welcome back! Always love a build thread!!

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2022, 19:11:19 »
Since the stand from Innovative Marine with shipping is nearly $600, my wife and I watched a few YT videos, bought some 2x4s, screws, and a new cordless drill, all for less than $175, and built the stand base today

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 20:42:40 »
Lookin good, and quite a savings!

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 09:56:24 »
excellent work

Offline marineman

• Adult
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 16:02:04 »
Ghurlag!! Good to see you're getting back in. I'll be watching your build, and I think I responded to your PM (Didn't I? LOL!).

Hit me up amigo!

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2022, 19:13:22 »
Thanks everyone! 

Marineman, I don?t have a PM from you ;)

I?ll post pics of the topped and painted stand when we get there, and of the equipment that?s going into the build when I get the boxes unpacked.

Almost there already!

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2022, 12:15:04 »
Here?s the pile of gear going into it.  I might be going overkill on lighting but if so I?ll just run them at lower intensity and maybe get more life out of the lights.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2022, 09:34:43 »
Finished stand and a first look at the assembled kit?

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2022, 11:53:28 »
Nice! Looks like it's about time for some water and rock. What type of rock will you be using?

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2022, 13:37:14 »
Hi, Steve, I'm going to be starting with dry rock - Marco, if I recall correctly.  I have some that I bought sight unseen from Bulk Reef Supply - we'll see what scape I can make of that.  Sand is Fiji Pink Arag-Alive.  More pics to come. 

I'm waiting on a power strip to arrive to get all the wiring finalized.  And I'm going to start mixing up water (salt is Fritz RPM blue) tonight. Should be wet by the end of this week!

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2022, 14:01:39 »
Also wanted to mention livestock.  This is still a nano scale tank, so fish-wise there's only so much I can do.  I have 3 Ocellaris clowns in my 10 gallon right now that are going to be rehomed to this tank.  Since the 10 gallon has effectively crashed, I don't have any corals to move, to speak of, and while I was up to 4 RBTA clones, 2 have dissolved completely in the 10 gallon, and the remaining 2 aren't doing well, but hanging on.  I may try to get them moved as soon as possible to give them a fighting chance.

I'll update the 10 gallon build with current status and a pic or 2, just to show how bad things can get (the clowns seem happy, though!)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2022, 19:35:23 »
That turned out great

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2022, 19:29:20 »
https://youtube.com/shorts/B38BMTSmLZk?feature=share

A quick video of my rock work as it sits right now. Open to critique.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2022, 12:45:38 »
Water going in today!

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2022, 18:45:50 »
Making some good progress. Let the cycling begin!

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2022, 19:09:44 »
Making some good progress. Let the cycling begin!

Yep - here?s where things start slowing down.  I?ll add the clowns and Dr. Tim?s tomorrow and then proceed cautiously from here on out.  I?ve had some good tanks in the past.  Here?s hoping I can get things back on track with this one!

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2022, 15:48:44 »
No pics at the moment (I'm at work, away from the tank), but wanted to update that on Sunday, 3/12, I placed 2 clowns in the tank and added Dr. Tim's One and Only Nitrifying Bacteria.  So far so good.  I'm also doing daily capfuls of Brightwell Aquatics Microbacter 7, according to instructions.

I also ordered a Seneye to see if that offers any benefits as far as watching pH, Ammonia, and it even functions as a simple PAR meter, so I can dial in my lights in a month.  Hanna checker for nitrate is on the way with the Seneye.  I'll probably also get a Hanna checker for Phosphate to keep an eye on that, too.

A month or two down the road, I plan on adding a ChaetoMax light to the back of the AIO chamber.  I have an InTank brand chaeto basket, and even cut out some of the vinyl to allow the light to stick on the back where the chamber rests.

I've been looking a bit at what sort of additional fish citizens I might like.  Nothing crazy in a tank of this size, of course.  I'm thinking 3 pajama cardinals, a court jester goby, and maybe one other type of goby will about max things out. 

As far as the 10 gallon goes, even with the lights off, it's still a nightmare to look at.  No matter what I want to do with it, it will require a complete tear-down and rebuild - once I get the hermits and the coral banded shrimp moved over to this tank. 

I'm letting the clowns bake in the dark for a month to establish a biofilm before anything else moves over to this tank.  I'll have to make sure everyone is getting enough food while the rock isn't producing anything significant...

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2022, 18:20:16 »
Clowns are doing okay so far.  Salifert test kit says ammonia is at 0.25 mg/L.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2022, 18:20:55 »
One of these days I?ll start remembering to take landscape photos..  :alas:

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2022, 11:28:23 »
I got my Seneye hooked up and monitoring pH and NH3 (ammonia).  When I tested with my Salifert kit I got somewhere below .25 total ammonia yesterday.  As you can see by the pic below NH3 is negligible.

I also tested nitrate with my Hanna checker and got 9ppm.  I?m going to test with the Salifert kit again and see if I get a lower total number with that.  If so, I?d be willing to call the nitrogen cycle effectively complete, so I can start moving over hermits and my coral banded shrimp.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2022, 19:46:34 »
All coming together.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2022, 12:01:11 »
Decent test results today:

pH: 8.06
Ammonia <0.15
Nitrate: 8.8
Phosphate: 0.02

The clowns seem happy 2 weeks in on their new digs.  I added some purple algae spores from Algae Barn a few days ago so we?ll see in about 10 weeks how that turns out.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2022, 12:55:27 »
Looks really nice. That big open spot in your sand bed is just crying out for some attention.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2022, 13:38:07 »
Thanks, Steve.  Not sure what I'll do with that big open space.  I have 4 light pucks in 2 AI Hydra 32 fixtures that will provide light when the time comes.  Maybe a zoa garden or something there in the future?

pH is 8.3 and has been steady for the past week.  Total Ammonia is falling off - ~8 ppb of NH4 on the seneye.  I'll probably test sometime this weekend, prior to a 5 gallon water change, but I have an IT Certification renewal coming up that I need to do some work for, so that's what brings me to the computer today.