2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: pH Fluctuation  (Read 997 times)

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
pH Fluctuation
« on: March 02, 2022, 11:24:38 »
I recently calibrated my pH probe on my Apex and also started dosing limewater. My pH is ranging from around 8.17 overnight to around 8.46 by the evening.

Is this fluctuation okay?

Gary

Offline zachegg

• Juvenile
Re: pH Fluctuation
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 14:39:31 »
The fluctuation is normal. Assuming you are monitoring alk and that is where it should be those ph numbers are good in my opinion. The primary reason to dose limewater is to help supplement alk and the side benefit is the ph boost. I would be concerned if it get much higher though. I recently decided to dose limewater (kalkwasser) to increase ph and my fluctuation is 8.25 ish during the day and 8.05 ish at night. Before that I was debating on a co2 scrubber but I'm happy with this for now and it's way cheaper than scrubber. You can always cut back on the amount you are dosing to reduce ph. I'm not sure what the alk demand is in your tank but you can also dose baking soda and that will slightly reduce ph if you still need alk.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 08:17:30 »
Thanks for the reply. I'm still fairly new to an Apex with constant pH monitoring so I was a little concerned. I just started dosing the limewater and watching the numbers. I started out with one tablespoon lime per gallon of water and plan on adjusting depending on how my alk/ca do.

The tank I had years ago I used limewater for topoff and then occassionally had to adjust alk with baking soda and Reef Advantage powered calcium to adjust calcium. That is my plan for this tank as well. Just trying to get everything in line and get rid of this nasty GHA outbreak.

Offline zachegg

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 08:21:11 »
Try fluconazole for the GHA. 

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 17:42:38 »
Try fluconazole for the GHA. 

Added that last week. Seeing some improvement, but I need to get out and beef up my clean up crew. Most of my original CUC have died.