2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Black Friday  (Read 7094 times)

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
Black Friday
« on: November 17, 2007, 17:48:36 »
Is anyone planning on doing any black friday shopping, I've been looking around on the internet and it appears a lot of the stores have released their ads or they have been leaked out.  I'm planning on getting a decent size HD LCD TV  ;D maybe 37-42 inch.  Now that my home is remodeled and I have a minute or two a day to watch tv.  The only TV in my house for the last year, is a 15 inch LCD TV that hangs on the bedroom wall, so anything will be a great upgrade.  Is anyone else in the market for a HD TV?

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
Re: Black Friday
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 18:14:34 »
i wish...I have a 60 in sony projection tv in the basement...when it dies i will get one.  I am a bit leary of HD right now because cable is upgrading to all digital i a couple years.  Not sure how that will effect HD.

Of course when I bought this TV 8 or 9 years ago.  HD was on the verge of being released and we are still waiting for full integration...

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 18:30:37 »
Last year my son spent the night at Wal-Mart waiting to buy a big screen at a really good price.  He said it was a blast!  They played cards all night.  He was the first one to get a TV. I think they only had something like 3 or 4 of them. 

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 18:54:37 »
if you see any good deal on a 42, let me know.  my 42 just let loose on the red.  cant get any convergence with the red lines.  i am guessing in the neighborhood of 4-5 hundred for repair.
That one guy who used to be on all the time......

bigfalcon36

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 23:43:08 »
I just got a 50" Panasonic Plasma for our basement.  The thing is slick.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 00:35:14 »
Walmart isn't releasing their ads till the 19th but there are scans of their ads circulating around the internet, they are going to have a 42 inch polaroid HD LCD for $798.  I don't think I'm willing to camp out but I would be willing to show up at 430 A.M.. Maybe I'  not experienced enough with this whole black friday thing but I don't see where showing up early increases your chances for a T.V.. If the store isn't open when you get there how does the guy that has been waiting there for eight hours have a better chance?  I'm sure when the doors open to these stores everyone's not going to walk into the store in a single file line.  From all the reading I've seen on the audio video website's everyone is saying the deals are not that great this year for HD buyers.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 06:40:11 »
Wal-Mart is open 24/7 so the line starts early.  They get there and stand by what they want all night long.  From what I remember last year my son said they had papers that said what the item is and you get the paper then get the item.  Even if the store isn't open there is a line of people standing and I would be willing to bet if someone shows up at 4:30, the guy that's been there since midning isn't going to let him near the front.  :)  .     

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 09:17:48 »
you have yo camp out of you dont get anything...last year we camped out to buy doggie rawhide for like 2 hours...ans got some from the last box.  So we bought $100 worth. 

thats for dog treats...now compare that to a TV.....line will for at 11 or 12 the night before or sooner and they will only have a couple.  so if you really want a great deal be prepared to pay for with your time

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 09:30:31 »
You are exactly right Matt!

Offline verper

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 10:57:14 »
Most stores (excluding the 24/7 stores) all form lines by a first come/ first in the door policy.  Some of them have employees policing the waiting lines.  Looks to be cold again like last year. 

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 11:09:31 »
We've been looking for a good deal on HD TV's...looking to go fairly big.  If anyone sees a good deal, please let us know.  We've been watching tv on a 19" tv from the 1980's.  Yuck.

Offline saltybuckeye

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 11:29:54 »
The best deals on tv's always seen to be a month after christmas.I bought my 52 inch lcd (dlp) 2 years ago on one of the big christmas deals marked down 3000 to $1800 and about 1-2 months after christmas it went down to $1200.Another thing to watch out for is your cable.Some cable or dish providers charge a lot extra for hd channels,and extra for there equipment to get the channels.Then some have alot more hd channels than the others as well.Just something to think about.

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 11:48:48 »
If you wanting a higher end HD TV doorbusters are not the way to go.  They are usually cheaper or less featured models to draw in customers so when they are out of the "special" you buy the expensive stuff.

When I eventually replace my 60" it will not be with a door buster deal.  If you are serious about a nice HD tv wait until superbowl time.  That is the time to buy a TV.  Lots of sales pre and post game.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 12:14:57 »
Ok, sounds good.  Thanks for the advice.  I'm not the one researching the perfect TV...that's Will's job.   ;D

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 12:29:17 »
sams club has a really nice display of TV right now for xmas...usually there tvs look like crap, right now not so much.

HHgregg has a couple REALLY nices ones also

bigfalcon36

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2007, 12:41:38 »
As Matt said, dont go with a door buster and expect the best.  Also, most of the TVs are 720p that are going to be on sale.  You're going to want at least 1080p if you ever want to watch a good Blu Ray movie.  you'll pay for the difference too.

Offline saltybuckeye

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2007, 12:48:02 »
definitely get the 1080P.If you are going to spend that much money on something you might as well go all the way.I only have the 720p and am regretting it now.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2007, 13:02:37 »
So far, the best thing I have seen deal wise is at HHgregg.  They have a 46" Sony Bravia with 1080p for $1600 or $1700.  have yet to see anything good on Plasma' for black friday

Offline verper

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2007, 15:13:26 »
Consumer Reports had a recent article on the plasma and LCD TV's.  I'd look that over.  One of the things they said is that some high end 720p TV's have better picture quality than the low end 1080p's. And they are cheaper too.

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2007, 15:56:06 »

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2007, 21:39:30 »
The TV I'm looking at is the Polaroid 42" LCD HD 1080p at walmart for $798.  Its normally $1300 I believe so hopefully I'll get a chance to snatch one of those up, otherwise I'll probably just wait till closer to X-mas.  Sears has a sony television that everyone is talking about, I just can't remember what the model is.  I just have basic cable, I think I have like 26 channels which include like 4 shopping networks, 3 news channels, and the preview channel so truly I have like 25 channels :) I'm not buying the tv for the HD just so I can watch dvd's and be ready for 2009.  I think cable is the biggest rip off If you want more than 25 channels you might as well plan on spending $100 a month.  The only reason I have cable is for the road runner.

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2007, 21:44:16 »
netflix baby!

bigfalcon36

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2007, 23:14:30 »
Netflix have Blu-Ray yet?

Offline REDPYRO