2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: My 300 gallon starphire SPS tank w/125 gallon macro/mangrove refugium  (Read 26699 times)

Offline aquavista99

Re: My 300 gallon starphire SPS tank w/125 gallon macro/mangrove refugium
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2009, 01:54:26 »
The Rubbermaid tub is finally empty and out of my basement! I will post updated pictures of the new tank in a few weeks or so. The new system has been up and running for the past 24 hours. No leaks!   My next project is to paint the calcium reactor and skimmer stands and mount all the equipment (pump drivers, ballasts, battery backup units, etc.)

bigfalcon36

Re: My 300 gallon starphire SPS tank w/125 gallon macro/mangrove refugium
« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2009, 19:59:27 »
Any more updates Tim?  Throw some filter socks in that sump too!  :) 

As always...looks really nice!

Offline aquavista99

Any more updates Tim?  Throw some filter socks in that sump too!  :) 

As always...looks really nice!

I do not use filter socks on the returns since that will be the place for the skimmer's feed pump but I will use one filter sock on the skimmer's return pipe. The new rock layout is amazing in my opinion. I went through over 40 sticks of Aquamend on this new project. The layout was modeled after a patch reef.

bigfalcon36

Well the rest of us can't have an opinion about the rock work because there are NO PICTURES!!!!!!!!!  :)

Offline aquavista99

Well the rest of us can't have an opinion about the rock work because there are NO PICTURES!!!!!!!!!  :)

;) I am going to wait a little while before posting updated pictures to allow the reef to become established again.

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
how did you fill your tank?  with ro/di water? then mix salt?  or mixed ro/di water?

can you use a garden house to fill a large tank?

Offline aquavista99

how did you fill your tank?  with ro/di water? then mix salt?  or mixed ro/di water?

I filled my tank one five gallon bucket at a time from already cycled reef water from another holding tank and from freshly made saltwater. I mix the new saltwater in a tub first and then add it to my tank after checking for salinity, etc. I use RO/DI water and Rubbermaid trash cans w/ Red Sea Coral Pro salt mix to make new saltwater.

Offline aquavista99

You could use a clear rubber hose  (available at most hardware stores by the foot) and a return pump to fill your tank but I prefer the excersice you get by doing the water changes with five gallon buckets. I would not recommend using a garden hose to fill a reef tank.

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
;) I am going to wait a little while before posting updated pictures to allow the reef to become established again.

Such a tease!

Offline aquavista99

The rock work is unreal. I just hooked up the skimmer tonight.  ;)

Such a tease!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult

Thats not cool, you are going to have to give us a picture.

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
  • 240 Gallon Tank with 125 refugium

That can be interperated several different ways. :(
Actually I hear it does look nice.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline aquavista99

That can be interperated several different ways. :(

I hope all positive, right? I had a few Cincyreef and Ohio Reef members stop by recently and everyone was amazed by my rock layout. I will provide updated pictures once the project is finally complete.

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
  • 240 Gallon Tank with 125 refugium
I hope all positive, right? I had a few Cincyreef and Ohio Reef members stop by recently and everyone was amazed by my rock layout. I will provide updated pictures once the project is finally complete.

From what I have heard from people who have seen it and will remain namelss the tank looks really good.  So yes positive.  Although for people that don't know it might seem like you are hiding something that might not be so positive.  They were getting pic after pic then you finish and nothing.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
I think that Tim is keeping everyone in suspense.  I am sure as picky Tim is with his tank it will be beautiful.
Jeff

Offline yinyang

• Adult
i saw in person when i pick my blue millie
the rock work is unreal!!
now i know why everybody want deep dimision tank
it give u so much room
can't talk too much about it
i promise tim to keep the secret ;D

Offline aquavista99

Update- I am almost finished with the rock work on the new reef aquarium. The new tank has been operational for almost 2 weeks. The existing SPS corals should start to color up again within the next few weeks. When you move SPS from one system to another, it takes time for things to return to normal (emphasis added). 

Right now, I have 8 new SPS coral frags in QT. I QT all new sps frags in a separate 30 gallon breeder aquarium to check for red bugs, AEFWs and monti eating nudis. I attached a few pictures of my SPS QT system below. I will have a large shipment of limited edition SPS frags arrive over the weekend from the DC area as well.

30 gallon breeder SPS QT system

Offline aquavista99

I attached a few pictures of the new reef aquarium below (almost two weeks old). Again, it will take a few more weeks until the amazing colors return from my existing corals. I also need to change out the old 14k metal halide bulbs on my existing lighting system. Overall, I am happy with the new system. I plan to add some more live rock and corals over the next few weeks.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Absolutely amazing Tim. Can't wait to see it in person.

Offline Zeppelin

• Fry
    • Zeppelins Reef
Nice looking tank.   8)
PEACE.....from Zeppelin

www.corareef.org

Offline JoeAyers

Again, it will take a few more weeks until the amazing colors return from my existing corals.

Looks better now....  ;D

bigfalcon36

It's crazy how small the corals and rocks look in that big tank.  Very nice!  I really like the rock work...it should look pretty tough once things start to grow out.

Offline aquavista99

Thanks for the compliments! I am still adding corals and rock over the next few weeks. I am also considering running a GFO reactor on my new setup as well.

Blown76mav

I seen this tank in person last week,  B-E-A-UTIFUL.  Can't wait to see it after it matures for a bit.  Those corals are gonna look sweet.

Great guy as well, as with everyone I've met through this club.

slandis3

Hows the tank coming? Any updates?