2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Reseal tank  (Read 4629 times)

wayne

Reseal tank
« on: August 05, 2006, 10:05:13 »
My 46 gallon bowfront has sprung a leak.  Last night I noticed water in the floor around the tank, and found it was seeping (sp?) at the bottom back of the glass.  I assume the seal has given way in that area and the water is coming up around the plastic wood-grain edging. 

I'm trying to find a replacement that I can afford, but was thinking about taking everything out, draining it, cleaning it good, and resealing it. 

Has anyone done this?  How do I do it?  I have no idea right now.  Do I have to remove all of the old silicon sealent?

Wayne

slandis3

Re: Reseal tank
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 10:12:18 »
I have been told that you dont have to remove all of the old silicone. Just the majority of it. You must put a larger bead of silicone on to cover the old. I have done it on a 30gallon breader. It worker fine. You can go to lowes and get clear window & door Silicon. IT MUST BE TYPE ! It will say siliconeI on the front. It is made by ge. The down side is the tank must be competly dry and it must sit empty for a couple of days to cure fully.

wayne

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 10:36:40 »
So, do I just pull/scrape it out of the inside of the tank (leaving the plastic edging/bracing) and then run thick beads of the new silicon at all of the joints?  I assume the bracing will hold the tank together while I do this?

Wayne

Offline verper

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 10:38:52 »
I resealed a tank, but the tank was not leaking.  I just resiliconed the inside beads.  I have read that some have had success resealing.  
The key was to bow the split out enough to get silicone between the glass panes.  Not sure on long term success.

Also seen a thread somewhere about removing the entire pane and resiliconing it back.  Looked like a lot of work.  

If you are cashed strapped, maybe just a Tractor Supply stock tank for $50 to hold you over.  Good luck.

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 10:45:16 »

BobbyC

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 11:23:39 »
I've got a empty 55 for free but it doesn't look the best.  A few scratches on the front and a lot of corralline on the back and sides.

wayne

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 12:17:29 »
Can corraline survive being out of water for a few days, or should I scrape it all off and start over?

BobbyC

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 12:47:45 »
I don't the think the coralline will make it being out for a day or so.  I would think it will bleach out and flake off.  I believe it's just calcium and should be fine unless you just don't want to look at it. I'm no expert though.

terry

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 12:56:04 »
I took a piece of rock out one day that had corraline on it to get rid of an aptasia and it turned white.

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 13:20:11 »
cant you put rock in a bucket with some of the water you drain throw a power head in and you wont kill the live rock

slandis3

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 20:41:58 »
actully. there is silicon between the glass pains that will hold it to gether. just don move the tank around alot because it may come apart. It is alot of work to put one back together

wayne

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 05:42:23 »
cant you put rock in a bucket with some of the water you drain throw a power head in and you wont kill the live rock

Redpyro, this is what I intend to do.  I was actually asking about the corraline that is on the back glass of my tank.  I'll probably just scrape it off and clean the tank with freshwater since it sounds like the corraline will bleach.  I wish there was another way, it took so long for my tank to start growing corraline :^(

I got the used 55 from Bobby that I'll use to temporarily house everything while I repair my leaking tank.  I intend to move the tank downstairs so if this (or anyother tank disaster occurs), it will be on the concrete floor.  I'm going to use the 55 gallon I got from Bobby as a larger sump/refuge (currently have a 20 gallon sump).  I'm going to reseal the 55 as well, just in case :^).

Wayne

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 09:38:26 »
sorry muat have misread...ya the stuff on the glassw ont make it

wayne

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 20:23:02 »
sorry muat have misread...ya the stuff on the glassw ont make it

No problem.  I appreciate the link you posted about resealing tanks.  It's going to be a big help.

I've got my tank drained, some of my smaller fish I moved to my daughters cube tank, and all of my rock, corals and bigger fish are in a 30 gallon rubbermaid trash can with salt water and some powerheads and PC lighting.  I'm trying to rig up something to keep my sand alive and keep my sump residents (macro, live sand, some rock, snails, etc.) alive.

This is a much bigger job than I wanted right now! 

Wayne

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 20:31:43 »
might as well upgrade now...your have gone to all that trouble

wayne

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 22:01:16 »
might as well upgrade now...your have gone to all that trouble

;D  I'd love to, but... $$$

I'll definitely be changing a few things that I can, and putting the tank in a safer place than it was before in case of future leaks, plus I'll be putting my sump out in the garage, and it will be a bigger sump.

wayne

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2006, 12:48:29 »
I've cleaned and resealed both tanks.  Letting them sit and cure now.  Step 2, a new stand for the display and shorter stand for the new 55gallon sump/refuge.  I also need to measure the inside of the 55 to have some glass cut for baffles.  I'll have a much larger refuge area and a seperate area for macro.  I can get a larger skimmer now! 

Step 3 will be the plumbing from the display to the sump.  Right now, all I have for return pump is a mag7.  According to the head loss calculator at rc, I'll have about 450gph for the return (plumbing 1" pvc). 

Wayne

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2006, 15:17:04 »
Sounds like you made a major step in the right direction wayne. Post pics if you can we would like to see all the hard work you put into it.

wayne

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2006, 14:16:23 »
Sounds like you made a major step in the right direction wayne. Post pics if you can we would like to see all the hard work you put into it.

I have it all moved and setup.  I'll try to get some pictures up shortly.  I do have some questions for any that have any of their tank plumbing in their garage:  I have a two car garage, and obviously, half of that garage is now sump space!  I have the 55 gallon I acquired from Bobby setup in one corner of my garage.  It's currently uncovered, and I have dividers in it for the refuge area and a bubble trap.  First question:  do you worry about bugs getting into the sump?  Second question:  what about salt spray into the air and a vehicle in the garage?  Any need to worry about rust?  I can definitely feel a difference in humidity in the garage now.  I do like the extra space I have for the sump now, and I'll be getting a float switch for my ato to keep the sump full.  Everything made it through the transition except my corraline  :'(  Can someone with a lot of corraline scrape some to see my tank?

Wayne