2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: New to ORC  (Read 1744 times)

Offline J.Irons2108

• Fry
New to ORC
« on: June 23, 2019, 16:46:23 »
Getting back into the hobby after some lazy downtime. Have a 75 gallon that I have setup now but need to tear down and redo. I let it go to far and am now in the process of curing the LR back to a fresh state. Slowly but surely should be able to get the tank tore down while it is curing and then basically start fresh and rekindle my love for the hobby.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: New to ORC
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 18:01:18 »
Welcome back JIrons. Post pics of your progress!

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 23:51:59 »
Welcome back, keep us posted.

Offline J.Irons2108

• Fry
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 22:17:57 »
Here are a couple of pictures from the other day when I started to do the initial clean up stages. I love this hobby but had just gotten too lazy and busy. Now that things are more manageable around the house and my kids are very interested in starting the hobby. I figured starting over would be a great chance for them to learn from the beginning and a great learning experience. Learning that taking shortcuts in life will give you results like these pictures. Too many shortcuts 7 years ago led me to where I am now in the hobby. It was also a great learning experience for myself also. I have learned so much from my mistakes. Not sure if I should or want to but should I create a new thread for this or keep my progress in this current thread.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 22:31:38 by J.Irons2108 »

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 10:28:58 »
You got your work cut out for you. Just take your time and get it the way you want it. And your work ethic lessons are precisely how I have raised my two kids.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 14:02:54 »
Welcome, clean up on aisle 2!

Offline J.Irons2108

• Fry
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 14:14:39 »
Welcome, clean up on aisle 2!
Aisle 3, 4, 5, and 6.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline J.Irons2108

• Fry
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 21:54:03 »
Here is a quick update. Everything is running great and have great water parameters. Looking to start dosing 2 part. Due to picking up some LPS a few weeks ago.

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 22:23:37 »
Here is a quick update. Everything is running great and have great water parameters. Looking to start dosing 2 part. Due to picking up some LPS a few weeks ago.

Wow, what a turnaround!

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 23:23:01 »
how many helpers did you have?

Offline J.Irons2108

• Fry
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 07:07:40 »
3 helpers. 10, 9, and 4 years old
 The 4 year old is the one that actually helps.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 08:01:18 »
ah, the elf squad. be a wise cobbler and do'nt let the wife give them clothes, lol I think that I remember the story right. Honestly, amazing turn around.

Offline J.Irons2108

• Fry
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 08:28:28 »
This was all down with only the addition of a new lighting system and a new sump for equipment. All the LR was killed off and re-cured. I did replace the sand. It took a lot of patience. I also broke my back on July 4th which has made water changes quite time consuming but I was/am determined to keep this bad boy going. I only had two losses in the process. One was my mandarin that had gotten crushed by a bad aqua scape. I had just lost my coral beauty a few days ago. I believe it was just old. I had the coral beauty for 9 years and have no idea how old it was when I bought it. Nothing was lost in the quarantining while the LR cured. I kept 2 rocks in QT that had a ton of copepods plus I supplemented with live copepods every 2 weeks to make sure the mandarin was fat and healthy.  Either way a fairly successful renovation. I also updated the stand and gave it a canopy. As you can tell from the picture I built the aqua scape over time to make sure it was all cured to my satisfaction.