2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Meet n Greet Post & New Tank Setup  (Read 6230 times)

Offline Straasha

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Meet n Greet Post & New Tank Setup
« on: May 03, 2020, 08:38:34 »
Hi everyone, new to the area.  Just moved in to Beavercreek Township.  I am in the military and have moved a lot over the last 25 years. I have had freshwater aquariums most of my life but for the last 10 years, every house I lived in did not had a good location for a tank. Now that I am near the end of my military career, I finally have a house where I can put in an aquarium. I built a stand for an old 55 gallon tank and after I built it, I decided to go saltwater. Yeah, I now know that 55 gallon is not the best but I am pressing forward. The stand turned out quite well.  I decided to ditch my 1981 era 55 gallon tank because, even though it held water, I was afraid it might leak eventually due to its age. Also, because it was 3/8 inch thick, it was pretty green. I didn't want the color to distract from the beauty of a reef. I bought a 55 gallon aqueon tank from Petco during their last sale and installed Fijicube's AIO DIY Kit, a Tunze 9004, and a pair of Noopsyche K7 pros. Now I am waiting for the tank to cycle. 2 weeks down so far and the wait is killing me. In the meantime, what do you think of my aquascape?  Also, I want to add some LPS on the lower rocks and on the island on the right.  Maybe in after a year, I will add some SPS up top. Any LPS suggestions @Lazy and my new Ohio Reef friends?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
Re: Meet n Greet Post & New Tank Setup
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 09:21:40 »
Looks pretty nice. That location fits that tank as if it was made for it. 
How are you cycling? Dr. Tim’s have a great ammonia product to add along with one of the bacteria in a bottle products will produce a strong and pretty quick cycle. As for corals many of us sell, just watch the ads or post up what you are looking for.  Lazy’s is a great place but is closed right now due to the virus. In not sure about any of the stores but I think most wholesalers are closed so assuming it will be hard to find fish also. This is a great group, so post up any questions on your journey to addiction.
Jeff

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 09:39:11 »
I am using Red Sea's Mature Reef Starter kit and following the directions.  One questions I have about LPS corals is that I am not sure how close I can put them on a rock and which are compatible with another.  The more I read sometimes the more I get confused.  I am loving the start but there is a huge learning curve.

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 10:16:40 »
That stand is gorgeous! Glad to see you are using the noopsyche lights, I have been using 1 on my tank for a few months now and I prefer it over the kessil I had.... as for coral placement, give plenty of room around them for growth, I have also learned that euphoria likes to stretch out and will sting corals like crazy! I have lost quite a few things already due to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 11:06:48 »
Welcome! Nice aqua-scape. How are the pieces connected/stabilized? Your set up is very pleasing. I know very little and am enjoying the learning curve (roller coaster a better description). I look forward to seeing more.

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 11:37:37 »
dbowman, I used epoxy putty to secure the arches together.  The island on the right is just stacked together.  My daughter and I initially laid everything out on the ground and came up with the idea.  We epoxied the bases together, put them into the tank, and then secured the arches.  Over at reef2reef, someone gave my the idea of putting LPS on the island and lower rocks and then putting SPS on top of the arch, nearest the light. So...that's my plan for now at least.

I have a QT setup in the basement and plan to go to Gerbers to pick up a couple of clownfish.  I will quarantine them in coppersafe for the next 2-4 weeks while the tank finishes cycling.  I also want to get a few corals started too.  One question for the team, who quarantine's corals?  I plan to get them from either Gerbers or Lazy's (I see he does allow local pickup from his front porch).  Anyone have an issues with hitchhikers or anything else?

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 13:00:56 »
I use Gerber's for fish and inverts. I can't say much about their corals. I would recommend Lazy's or watch this club for items, they are often offered. By going through the club you can ask questions. then you know who does what.

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 19:07:06 »
Just got back from Gerber's a few hours ago. Picked up two fancy clown fish. They are in the quarantine tank until the display tank finishes cycling. Should be another week or so.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 00:54:16 »
nice

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 08:58:05 »
Cycle is making progress.  Here are this morning's stats:

Temp: 79.5
pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:  0.25
Nitrate:  40
Alkalinity: 8.4

I do have one question for the group.  I am using Red Sea's Reef Mature Starter Kit.  Part of the instructions indicate that my alkalinity should be going down and to supplement daily with KH Coralline Gro to maintain it at 8.4.  Mine hasn't changed in over a week.  I haven't any KH Coralline Gro during that time.  Is this bad?

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2020, 11:05:26 »
I looked up the product and it maintains salts that the corals use up. if the corals are not abundant the hardness will not go down very much. the hardness is a measure oof the abundance of salts and a buffer to prevent pH swings so not changing is good. IMO

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2020, 11:15:31 »
dbowman, thanks for the advice.  I truly appreciate it.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 11:41:16 »
 remember, i could be wrong; then when we hear from someone who really knows, we will both benefit from learning that you started.

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 13:14:12 »
Couple things. The dKH is just a measure of the buffering capacity of saltwater. Buffers are basically systems (in the case of seawater that is mainly carbonate and bicarbonate) that maintain the pH of a solution at a certain level. Since these make up the majority of the buffer in seawater it is easy to measure their abundance using what we know as an alkalinity test. This basically neutralizes the buffer system using an acid, until it hits a certain pH that changes the color (an indicator solution does this).
So anyways sorry for the long explanation on alkalinity. The reason they claim your alkalinity should go down is because the bacteria require a carbon source for growth. In some cases the bacteria uses the carbonate and bicarbonate as a source and other times it doesn’t. It is possible there was some other convenient carbon source for the bacteria in your water therefore it did not need to use the buffer as a carbon source. I wouldn’t worry too much, looks like the cycle is going along very well based on your nitrates. I’d say ready for livestock after the nitrites disappear fully. Sorry for any typos as I’m on my phone.

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 13:38:02 »
Thank you very much for that explanation. 

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 14:03:02 »
very well stated thanks dbjonesjr

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2020, 14:36:21 »
Starting to populate the aquarium.  Yesterday put in an Engineer Goby, a female Yellow Watchman Goby, and a Pistol Shrimp.  Getting excited!

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2020, 12:00:37 »
any updates on this?  How is the tank doing?  any CUC yet? or are they not needed

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2020, 14:11:37 »
Sorry for the delay.  I did build a canopy for the tank.  It was hard seeing the lights out of the corning of your eyes while watching TV.  Wife likes the look better as well.

I did add a CUC from reefcleaners.org.  Great service and would recommend them if you haven't used them.

Last week I added another clownfish, a yellow tang, a royal gamma who likes to hide, and a brittle starfish.  I have a Coral Beauty, a Vrolik's Wrasse, a female Whip Fin Fairy Wrasse, and one starter coral, a Grape Cristata Coral, coming in on Thursday from LiveAquaria.  One question:  I have read multiple conflicting pieces of advice on adding corals to the tank.  After I dip the coral in CoralRX, should I remove the coral from the frag plug and glue it to a rock; or simply clean the plug and glue the plug to a rock?  Please help guide the noobie.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 14:43:04 by Straasha »

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2020, 11:25:22 »
I like the canopy, I’m old school and like the buttoned up look of a stand and canopy together

For me in the past I would remove my frags from their plug and glue to my rock, never cared for the frag plug look.  I would however put the coral in my tank after dipping with it still on the plug for a week or two to get the coral really acclimated to the tank before I removed it and glued it - that was years ago so there might be a better way now

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2020, 20:38:29 »
Well, my Grape Cristata Coral didn't last more than two days before it died.  It didn't look good when it arrived.  That's the last time I order something on-line.  I made a smarter option and looked towards my Ohio Reef members.
I picked up 4 corals from @Heinbaughb today.  Put them in the tank and they quickly opened up and looking great.  Whooohooo...lovin' it. 

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2020, 16:10:28 »
OK team, need some advice.  I am truly hating the Fijicube AIO Kit.  Too cramped, hard to maintain right water level, frustrating to use with my Tunze 9004.  Unfortunately, I siliconed it in the the side of the tank.  Does anyone know of a way to get it out without killing all my fish/coral?

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2020, 20:29:37 »
silicone can be cut if you can get to the silicone. usually the bond to plastic is not as strong as that to glass. so may separate from the box then trim the silicone from the glass with razor. cured silicone is not toxic to fish if you were worried about that.

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2020, 11:13:15 »
So need some opinions an way to go.

Option 1.  Remove Fijicube AIO and use HOB overflow and return to new sump.

Option 2.  Buy new tank, drill it, and use internal overflow and returns to new sump.

With option 2, how hard is it to transfer everything to a new tank?

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2020, 13:22:49 »
kind of depends on what direction you want to go.
I made a pilot system to try out diy ideas with the plan to transfer everything to a larger set up and use the equipment on it. I could not see an easy way to tear the old system down and cycle the new one with the old equipment while the livestock did what, sit in a bucket for weeks?
 I bought all new  stuff for the new set up including upgrading from a DIY over-the-top-siphon-to-sump to an Eshopps drilled overflow. 45 gal system to 100 gal. now i have two systems. i did move my fish and inverts to the new system. i didn't have any corals yet so i can't speak to that, but the stuff i had took the move easily. since then i have a few corals that i have moved between the systems and from sump to DT with no problems. holding everything to the same salinity/temp but the rest is a crapshoot. there is no ultimate system that you can build. so i don't have too much heartburn when i realize i could have gone a different path. We are both new to this site so I can relate to trying to figure out the way forward. The classic advice is "when you come to a fork in the road, take it.