2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Hi Everyone  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Matt Graybill

• Egg
Hi Everyone
« on: September 23, 2020, 08:34:31 »
This is Matt Graybill and I am both a new member and new to salt water.  We are renovating our basement and I want to put a reef tank on the corner of a prominent wall there with unfinished space behind.  Looking at about a 90+- gallon tank.  Won't be done until this winter so am in learning mode.  Have made trips to a couple of local shops and bought a few books to read.  Any suggestions for a newbie are most welcome!!
Personal info...retired; SCUBA diver, married to the love of my life; three grown kids and one granddaughter.

Offline dbowman

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Hi Everyone
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 09:08:25 »
welcome!! you have a lot of options at this point. i would suggest looking in the forums for member tanks to see what appeals to you. thinking about whether you want new equipment or if used will do. whether you want to start small and grow or make a big splash at the beginning. whether you are likely to move in the future. while you are renovating make electrical improvements and consider splash resistance and flood mitigation.stuff does happen. lol. keep exploring the possibilities!! and keep posting your progress. i like that you are thinking long game, that will enhance your chances of enjoyment and success.

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 12:05:19 »
Welcome to the club.  Glad you found us.  I had freshwater aquariums for years and always used a 55 gallon tank.  I started into saltwater for the first time earlier this year and hand built a nice stand for a 55 gallon aquarium.  After setting it up, I wish I had gone bigger with better dimensions and now cannot change.  I would recommend at least a 75 gallon or larger to start.

Offline Matt Graybill

• Egg
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 16:10:13 »
Sounds like great advice.  I keep thinking of ways I can make the spot I have in mind a little bigger.  I for sure want to plan enough service space behind it for RO supply, sump, supplies, etc.

Offline Warhawk937

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 18:52:59 »
welcome to the hobby!!! a great tool to uses in your case is BRSTV on youtube.  they have a series called 52 weeks of reefing, which is a comprehensive step by step guide on how to set up and maintain a thriving reef tank.

Offline Matt Graybill

• Egg
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 20:18:13 »
I did find BRS.  They have a series on setting up a new reef tank with 5 minute segments.  I was fascinated and watched a bunch of them.  Thanks for the advice.