2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: New to this board and forum--Hello  (Read 3346 times)

Offline chromiumlux

New to this board and forum--Hello
« on: April 19, 2008, 10:50:04 »
Hi all
Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I'm relatively new to the reef. I have a 14g Biocube that has been up since january. So far all is well. I may step up to a larger tank in the future but for now this little tank has kept me busy. My name is Andy from Huber Heights, Ohio near Dayton. Looking for other Nano-Reefers to share with. As soon as I figure out how to upload photos I will do so.

14 gallon biocube
2 1/2-3" sand
18# fiji,tonga,kaelini LR
3.24 72 watt upgrade lighting--nanotuners
Oceanic protien skimmer--chamber 1
modded chamber 2 fuge--LR and chaeto--enclosed zled fuge light
upgraded return pump MJ900 and chemipure elite--chamber 3
3-koralia nano in DT for flow---may remove 1 when I start to add corals
pinpoint ph monitor
pinpoint temp monitor
4 blue leg hermit--1 nassaurius snail--4 cone top snails
I think it's a good start. Anxious to add corals soon.
Chromiumlux

MechanicalEngineer

Re: New to this board and forum--Hello
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 10:52:16 »
Welcome to the club and to reefkeeping!  I'm up in the Huber Heights area as well...there's a few of us.  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!  We have a meeting in May coming up soon, and would love to have you join us!

Nikki

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 10:55:52 »
Welcome, i havnt been here long myself but everyone here seems to be great.

Sounds like you have alot of flow in that cube, how do you keep the sand from flying all around?

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 11:05:18 »
Hello there Reef'd Up
How can I be notified of upcoming meetings and events? I'd like to meet fellow reefers in this area.
Thanx
Chromiumlux

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 11:17:17 »
Welcome!!

All of our meeting info is posted in the Ohio Reef Events board. It is down towards the bottom of the list of boards on the forum main page.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 11:18:49 »
Hello UD Flyer
Well to answer your question about the flow in my cube--your'e right there is a lot of flow. My reef is does not touch the glass nor the back wall. the nanos are positioned so the water flow collides above and behind the rock structure. This creates a nice flow throughout the rock work and eliminates dead or cryptic zones. My return flow as pointed mainly at the surface for agitation and O2 exchange. As for the sand I used fine aragonite. Took a while to get flow to reach the substrate surfce without creating sandstorms which were a problem in the beginning for me. Now I have good flow all around and thru the tank. I test every so often during water changes by stirring the sand just a little to loosen detritus. This suspends particles and I can observe the flow patterns. Crazy but it works for now.
Chromiumlux