2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Miles' 150gal build  (Read 36872 times)

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: mil3sdavis' 150gal build
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2014, 20:15:26 »
I can make you a temp probe if you need.   <$10 in materials.....  I make them to get the length that I wanted.

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2014, 20:16:47 »
I got one with the module... but I'll keep that in mind for the future. Thanks!

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2014, 12:49:33 »
I finally got a light for my frag tank so I can now pull the Radion off of it and transition everything over to the new tank.

Last picture of 75 Gallon reef before tear down.

Lights up on the 150.

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2014, 17:03:48 »
I took a couple pics while in the process of moving my motipora capricornis and thought I'd share them.

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2014, 18:08:52 »
Man that is a monster colony! Really nice growth pattern, it needs a 150 and maybe then some.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2014, 18:26:16 »

I don't think it is going to fit.   :th_doh:

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2014, 18:58:17 »
Wow nice colony!!! And the new tank looks nice, I can't wait to see it full of Coral and fish.
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2014, 07:43:18 »
Here is a quick Pic I took before leaving the house this morning. The water is still a little cloudy... I stirred up a lot of sand last night. The aquascaping isn't final yet, it is the best I could pull off with limited visibility.

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2014, 09:16:31 »
Looks like a great start to me!
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2014, 23:12:17 »
A couple pics from today after the water cleared.

Offline joncat24

• Adult
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2014, 09:17:14 »
Looking good!
John

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2014, 09:29:44 »
I worked on mounting the electronics yesterday.

Had to order an extender cable for the WP-40s, which is why their controller is just laying there.

The blue tang likes to "hide"....

To many?

Offline Miles

• Adult
mil3sdavis' 150gal build
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2015, 14:23:39 »
Was working on moving my Darwin Clowns out of their temporary 10 gallon home into a 20 gallon semi-permanent situation today and found this piece of rock. This is the first piece of rock I ever purchased back in 2004. It came with this clam stuck to the rock, originally it was wedged in a crack and I assumed it was dead. After a couple years I noticed it had moved. As I have moved this rock between several tanks over the years, I've checked in on it to see how it's doing.

In March, it will be the 11th anniversary of the setup of my first tank, and my first hitchhiker is still alive and kicking.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2015, 20:10:12 »
That is pretty cool, apparently they can live for over 100 years.

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2015, 17:46:30 »
New Toys!!

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2015, 19:01:57 »
So have you heard an old mp40 before?  Are they really quiet?

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2015, 20:18:22 »
I've never heard the original MP40s, but I can say that these are much quieter than the Jebao WP-40s that I was using. So quiet in fact, my wife commented that it felt like something was missing. I can't hear them unless I get within a couple of feet of them.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 20:43:04 by mil3sdavis »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2015, 20:39:25 »
The original ones are really loud. The loudest circulation pump I have ever heard in fact. With tank on main floor, they annoyed me upstairs. They lasted about 2 days before I pulled them.

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2015, 10:33:20 »
Just wanted to give a quick update on the 150..

Recently had a heater malfunction which killed off some long term residents of my quarantine tank. I lost my pair of Snowflake Clowns and my breeding pair of Banggais. This incident pushed me to finish a project that has been taking up space in my garage for the past couple months.

I was originally building this tank rack as a temporary home for my breeding fish and young before adding them to the display tank or selling them.The rack is plumbed into the main system, meaning that the Apex controls the water temp and it shares filtration with the 150 gallon. After the heater malfunction I decided to quit dragging my heels and finish it so that this problem doesn't happen again. I can use any of the tanks as a quarantine sytem simply by closing the feed valve, resulting in an isolated tank, then just throw on an HOB filter and heater.

Over the weekend, I scored a good deal at Jack's in Springfield. I had a "Buy one get one free" coupon that they sent to their rewards club members. I was able to pick up a pair of Snowflakes much larger than my previous pair for $80 (normally $160), and then I purchased all of their remaining Chromis. I'm not really expecting the Chromis to last long term, I tried them once before and they killed each other off one by one. I picked up 8 Chromis for $40 (normally $80). I also ordered a few more Banggai from Live Aquaria and a very small tomato clown. I hope to introduce the tomato clown to the one I already have who lost it's mate a few years back.

Offline TroyReeF

• Adult
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2015, 12:58:50 »
kewl breeding station!!

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2015, 16:29:54 »
Nice, good luck with the breeding.

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2015, 08:56:36 »
Some weird stuff going on lately.....Besides my ich outbreak (talked about it in another thread... everything seems to be healthy besides a couple spots of ich), I've had a a few random leaks and electrical issues. A few weeks ago I came home to several gallons of water on my basement floor, I cleaned it up but was unable to figure out where it came from (it came out of the sump somehow, but I couldnt find a leak).

About a week later I came home to my GFCI having tripped in the basement, so the return pump was off along with everything in the sump/frag tank/breeding rack. There was some water on the floor but most of it had already dried. I didn't receive an Apex alert which I thought was strange (I quickly figured out why, at some point while attempting to clean up my electrical I had plugged the power monitor plug into a powerstrip connected to my battery backup  :-[). Luckly this time around I was able to check the Apex logs since it would have logged a power failure. Strangely, nothing had turned on for several hours before the GFCI had tripped. Also, it had tripped at 4:15 in the morning when I was home, but I didn't catch it until I got home from work 12 hours later  :-\.

After the second time I decided I was going to try harder to find the leak. I drained the sump and disconnected the threaded fitting on the bulkhead added some plumbers tape and put it back.... haven't had a leak since.

So this morning after getting to work (35 minutes away from the house) I got an Apex power failure alert  >:(. I checked the apex logs, nothing again. I gave my father in law a call and he went over to the house to check it out. No water on the floor... he couldn't figure out what happened. He reset the GFCI, and so far everything seems good.

This is frustrating..... 

The log for your viewing pleasure. (Line 12 is where the power kicked off)

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2015, 18:38:57 »
Just got home from work a little while ago... was sitting at the kitchen table and got an Apex alert for power loss. Went down to the basement, water on the floor, GFCI tripped.... Still cant figure out where this waster is coming from. I felt all of the fittings, all dry as a bone. No water was touching anything electrical...and the outlets are in the ceiling.  >:(

And the log again.... Power goes off at line 39.

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2015, 19:57:55 »
Mystery Leak Solved!!!!

The reason I couldn't figure it out based on the Apex logs is because it was almost entirely non-aquarium related. The former owners of my house were not home improvement experts by any means and have done many things to my house that make me shake my head. Today I learned that instead of actually getting a tube long enough to reach from the water softener to the drain in the floor, they kind of just rigged something up that included a zip tie and a 90 degree barbed connection. When the water softener would flush the brine it had a drop of a few inches to the drain in the floor. So either I or one of my cats must have bumped it so that it was dumping the brine on the floor (which explains why i was certain the sump was leaking.... it left a salt residue when it dried).

In all my infinite wisdom, I decided to let some of the wiring or my new breeder rack just kinda dangle behind the stand and I just told myself "I'll fix it later". It turns out that some of the time when the softener flushed the brine, it sprayed water on a connection between an extension cord and  power strip which just happened to be suspended about 3 inches above the floor drain, causing the GFCI to trip.

While attempting to figure out this whole issue, I noticed that connection was wet and thought "I wonder what would happen if I just dumped a gallon of water on the floor here?"  :hmmmm:

As it turns out, my basement floor is not quite level and if you dump water on the floor right by this drain, it pools around the sump and looks just like the pictures I posted above.

I have now wrapped all the excess wiring, and moved the salt reservoir for the water softener closer to the drain so that the tube actually goes down into the floor.   

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2015, 20:22:08 »
Quite a few lessons in that story, Glad you found it