2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Need help with ailing coral surgery  (Read 2346 times)

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Need help with ailing coral surgery
« on: December 15, 2010, 16:59:02 »
I have a type of birdsnest (not pink) that, due being repeatedly stung by my brain coral, and being deprived of light, has fallen on really hard times. 

As you can see, entire sections are completely bleached (some still have polyps fully extended, though).  The front section is completely dead and has taken to hosting algae - and a blue legged hermit crab :).

Anyone who has the tools and time available, if you are able to help, I will gladly give you as many frags of this as you want (as long as I can keep 1).  I know we are right up on Christmas time, so I understand if no one is available.  It's just a shot in the dark.  I will be posting this on other forums I frequent as well.

Thanks in advance

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
Re: Need help with ailing coral surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 17:17:03 »
If you cant find any bone cutters just get a cheap pair of wire cutters.  They will do the same job.  I would leave the bleached out pieces that arent grown over my algae.  I have had coral tissue grow back over bleached out parts before.  I have had a piece of tort actually grow back over so of the skeleton that had aglae on it.
Jeff

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 17:33:41 »
that's kind of what I am thinking.  As long as the polyps are trucking, there's life in there.  I know I need to get rid of all the dead tissue asap, although it still looks better than it did Thanksgiving weekend when I did the overhaul on the tank.  Thanks for the advice!  If no one speaks up soon, I might just go that route.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 17:37:12 »
...And just like that, already have someone who's going to help me out.  I love the Reef Community!  I'll let everyone know how it goes in my tank thread

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 17:27:03 »
Did you get this birdsnest from me? Mine do the same stinking thing when they get that big. I lost the HUGE piece I showed you overnight. Grew another piece that large, and caught it in time. You need to cut past the dead, and now. Bone cutters or wire snips work great for everything but this birdsnest. It will shatter large pieces off, since the branches merge sometimes. You need a dremel, or small file.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 18:29:51 »
Did you get this birdsnest from me? Mine do the same stinking thing when they get that big. I lost the HUGE piece I showed you overnight. Grew another piece that large, and caught it in time. You need to cut past the dead, and now. Bone cutters or wire snips work great for everything but this birdsnest. It will shatter large pieces off, since the branches merge sometimes. You need a dremel, or small file.

Yup, that's one that I got from you.  It will be fixed by this weekend :).  Thanks for the tip on how to frag this guy  :-ThumbUpsm