2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Sand Sifting Crabs  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Sunny

• Adult
Sand Sifting Crabs
« on: October 27, 2011, 14:14:05 »
Has anyone had or have these guy?  I just got in my order for a CUC.  I am acclimating them and these guys just started dying.  Like within 15 minutes of the acclimation.  The other stuff is doing fine.  I just netted them and they are in the tank, still in the net.  I bought 5, 1 is moving.  I think the other 4 are dead.  These guys are really cool looking.  Well, the 1 still is .... lol 

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: Sand Sifting Crabs
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 14:17:59 »
These dudes can molt... you sure they are dead and not just molting from acclimation/stress? everything that I put in my tank that molted, ended up molting during acclimation or shortly after.

Aside from that, I don't think they live very long, and have a bad rep of dieing in the sand, anyone want to comment?
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 14:26:09 »
Now I'm wondering if I should put them in the tank or just the one still moving.   

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 14:28:10 »
No point in not putting them in there, if they are still alive that is... The could very well be molting... You already bought em, and some people like them and I have seen people report that have seen em live from 1-5yrs.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 14:49:53 »
That would be nice.  I bought some white legged crabs also.  Those look cool.  One is really big.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 15:12:03 »
Oh, and another thing, how do you acclimate snails when they come in dry?  If you're putting your water in a bucket with snails that didn't come in water, wouldn't that be the same as just putting them in your tank? 

Offline rancoo

• Adult
Sand Sifting Crabs
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 15:31:17 »
Oh, and another thing, how do you acclimate snails when they come in dry?  If you're putting your water in a bucket with snails that didn't come in water, wouldn't that be the same as just putting them in your tank?
I usually just float the bag to get use to the temp for about 15 min and then stuck them in
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 16:48:37 »
i put the snails in an empty buket and than drip tank water into the buket for a good 30 min
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 17:33:51 »
i put the snails in an empty buket and than drip tank water into the buket for a good 30 min

That's what I did, only I did it for 2 1/2 hours.  Most look dead, they aren't moving.  This sucks ...

Offline rancoo

• Adult
Sand Sifting Crabs
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 18:22:13 »
where did you order from?
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 20:48:44 »
They wouldn't have lived longer then a couple days anyway. Not suited for a warm tank. They live in a tidal habitat. Sorry