2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: setup tank and find this on the glass? ID help please!  (Read 3865 times)

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
setup tank and find this on the glass? ID help please!
« on: October 07, 2010, 19:06:05 »
got everything setup and running, got all my cleaning crew established thanks to coral ranch!! great place and great guy!!!!!!, and im sitting here on the pc and i look over and this comes out and gets ont he glass, i would assumed he hithicked to my tank from the previous owner, since i bought 14lbs of live rock from him for my nano....

Any idea?

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
Re: setup tank and find this on the glass? ID help please!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 19:17:52 »
Probably a Asterina family of starfish ... nothing to worry about

Cool though huh?  ;D

Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 19:34:13 »
untill u get a few 100
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Kenn

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 19:49:59 »
I can only comment from my experience with them, so please make your own decision and read up on them :)

I've had them in both my tanks and have never had any issues with them. But there are SO MANY species of them that it seems only natural that you would have a problem child group mixed in every now and then :)
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 20:48:35 »
I can only comment from my experience with them, so please make your own decision and read up on them :)

I've had them in both my tanks and have never had any issues with them. But there are SO MANY species of them that it seems only natural that you would have a problem child group mixed in every now and then :)

I think the only ones you worry about are the ones that eat SPS, and you wont have any of those for awhile.  I'd venture to say most peoples tanks have some version of micro stars.  I wouldnt worry about it either.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 21:32:39 »
there fine i  just dont like them
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 21:50:57 »
Now begins your obsession with staring at the tank for hours to look at all the random tiny "bugs". We all did it :)

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 22:33:57 »
yup than comeing back at night with a flash light to look at it again
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 06:08:44 »

got everything setup and running, got all my cleaning crew established thanks to coral ranch!!

Wasn't this tank set up like 1 or 2 days ago?

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 10:08:00 »

got everything setup and running, got all my cleaning crew established thanks to coral ranch!!

Wasn't this tank set up like 1 or 2 days ago?

Yea lol. If your "cleaning crew" doesn't have anything to clean, they won't last very long.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 12:45:15 »
Some of these stars also will eat zoanthids, easy to get rid of though. I had some dine on a frag of Tub's Blues.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 14:59:33 »
Yea lol. If your "cleaning crew" doesn't have anything to clean, they won't last very long.
+1
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 16:44:23 »
It was live rock that he got from Cyberwolf. I am sure there is plenty to clean. Joel's concern was likely more regarding water quality.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 17:42:45 »
I think he got some LR from coral ranch too. 

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 08:56:10 »
I don't think an aquarium that has had water in it for only 1 or 2 days should have livestock added to it for a few reasons.

Was this water tested thoroughly to determine if everything was correct? It is debatable that 24 to 48 hour old water has had enough time to stabilize  to trust test results. For example, brand new mixed up water typically has the correct ph and Alk but 24 to 48 hours later that may have changed and need adjusted. Are tests being done now? What are the results?

It is typical that newly set up aquariums develops water quality issues (ammonia & nitrite). Hermits may be able to tolerate this buy snails don't deal with it so well.

Cultured / cured live rock is a great idea and will really help with stabilizing the aquarium but I doubt the live rock is going to sustain scavengers for very long. Adding additional food to the tank to compensate for the sterile environment can compound water quality issues.

Has anything been done with the filtration system to inoculate it with nitryfying bacteria?

Because of how small this aquarium is, a very minor problem can easily turn into a huge one. there simply is not enough water volume to dilute water quality issues. And this is the first saltwater aquarium that  213chrisp has done. I think that erroring on the safe side would have been the better way to go.

I'm not saying it cant be done, certainly it can. However, there are a lot of variables that can influence  how a cycling aquarium will go.  My point was, this tank really is too new / immature to be putting in a clean up crew into it. It would have been better to have aloud the aquarium to go through it's initial cycle or at least given the time to see what the water quality is going to do. There are several things that could(should) have been done to get this tank stable before adding live stock to it and rarely (if ever) is a 1 day old, freshly set up aquarium ready for live stock.

Don't get me wrong, I do think that most of the advise given and the use of good cured rock and ro/di water are great ideas. I just think more time should have passed before livestock was added and that more thorough guidance should have been offered in the beginning.