2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Ready to reduce Nitrates!  (Read 2220 times)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Ready to reduce Nitrates!
« on: April 04, 2012, 10:47:20 »
So my 40 gallon is clear of all nasties and I'm thinking of what to do to really hit the nitrates.  One thought, DSB with different macros.  Another, leave it BB and just use cheato.  Any thoughts, ideas suggestions?   

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: Ready to reduce Nitrates!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 11:15:30 »
I'd say either would do the trick...

I personally love the look of a planted fuge, but if your keeping everything in your sump room ,may be no point in it...

There are quite a few macros that rate in as a better nitrate sponge than cheato, but cheato undoubtely works, and is safe.

If you do a planted fuge, you can buy alot of macros that not only will reduce trates but could also be used to feed your fish when you crop them where as you will just throw out cheato...
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 13:51:22 »
Cody, please elaborate on the other macros that are better sponges and can be fed to my tangs. 

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 14:52:37 »
I would do both.   DSB's are really good at this.   But you don't need the whole bottom of that tank for the dsb.   Put some baffles to contain the sand in about half of the tank.  Leave the rest bare and put cheating in that.   Make sure the water flowing across the dsb is slow and high enough above the sand to not kick it up.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 21:05:58 »
Ulva or Gracilaria are both edible for fish, look good and are both available through reef cleaners if you wanted to go that route and add them to the order.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 22:45:14 »
How much macro would I need to make a differnce in my nitrates?

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 02:27:08 »
Hey Micki, what are your nitrates at? What is the tds of your makeup/top off water?

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 09:11:28 »
Hey Dave, I tested nitrates a week or so ago and it was 50+ if I remember correctly.  I have water ready for a water change this weekend.  TDS was 1. 

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 09:37:56 »
I would do both.   DSB's are really good at this.   But you don't need the whole bottom of that tank for the dsb.   Put some baffles to contain the sand in about half of the tank.  Leave the rest bare and put cheating in that.   Make sure the water flowing across the dsb is slow and high enough above the sand to not kick it up.

I also have a 10 gallon tank that was the original fuge for the 125 system.  Right now it's just there with some rubble rock and a bit of sand in it.  I used to have cheato in there as well.  Would this be a better option to just make that the DSB with macro and have the 40 with cheato?  There is lighting above both tanks.  Trying to figure out ideas/options prior to placing the order with RC.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 09:45:11 »
The 10 gallon tank is fine for the DSB, you don't need lighting over the sand.    How are you going to get water to and from the tank?  You don't want to disturb the sand from the water flow.   Also try to keep the sand surface clean.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 10:03:48 »
The water already has a slow flow over that tank.  Both the 10 and 40 are slow flowing tanks.  The sand bed wouldn't be disturbed in either one.  I was thinking of lighting only because of growing macro.  Dumb question here, wouldn't I need sand to grow macro?  I just "assumed" I would which is why I thought I would put the macro in a DSB.  Thoughts or ideas appreciated!

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 12:03:31 »
It depends on the macro... Some need some dont

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 12:08:29 »
What needs it and what doesn't?  I know Cheato does not.