2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Request for disease/pest ID  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Xmanax

• Egg
Request for disease/pest ID
« on: March 20, 2020, 20:02:52 »
Hi, any help in IDing what this is on my two anthias fish is greatly appreciated. Two days ago one of them had a small white area appear on one of it's sides like it was missing scales. Then this morning I come down and both now look pretty bad. I was able to catch the one with the bulging eye and place it in QT. Still trying to babe the other one.  Is this Velvet or something else?

Should I start a copper treatment if so?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Request for disease/pest ID
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 21:03:42 »
I am no expert but I would have to say its more bacterial.  The fins being all jagged and torn makes me think this.  Welcome to the forum.  You can do a more positive id on some of the national site like reef2reef.  Many good threads with pics to id your problem.  what ever it is you need to be getting them in meds fast.  I have a full box of of antibiotics should you need some. 
Jeff

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 09:41:41 »
I see inch and lympho and some type bacterial infection. Unfortunate situation. Post your pictures at https://humble.fish/community/index.php.
Anthias are difficult to qt.
Jim

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 01:50:29 »
I picked up 3 Anthias about 3 weeks ago. One of them looked similar to yours. It was impossible to remove it from the tank. I didn't see it after the 4 day. The second appeared fine but stays in the coral. The third is active and out with all the other continuously. I think it was Brooklynella hostilis. No other fish have exhibited any signs. Good luck!

Offline Xmanax

• Egg
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 21:26:54 »
Thanks to all for your replies. Its been a big help.

Humble Fish reply was.
Velvet with a secondary bacterial infection.

You need to get the copper level up to at least 0.5ppm. And I highly recommend also dosing an antibiotic such as Sulfaplex or Furan-2.

More ABX options are listed here: https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/antibiotics.15/

Dosed copper in QT the day I posted here. I finally cought the second anthias two nights ago, and put him in QT. He did not make it through the night.

The other anthias is doing a little better, but not great. I've only given half recommend dose as I don't have a way to test copper levels yet.  Hoping Gerbers has a test kit for it tomorrow. Will also get some of the Sulfaplex and Furan-2 while there and start treating antibiotics tomorrow.

I also placed an air stone in the QT tank tonight just to help with oxygen exchange.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 21:32:53 by Xmanax »

Offline VikingCoral

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 01:16:38 »
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/difficult-fish-to-qt-guide.101720/

They recommend raising the copper very slowly with anthias in this QT guide.

Are there other fish in this system? You may want to consider treating everything.