2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Bad Day for Nikki  (Read 494 times)

MechanicalEngineer

Bad Day for Nikki
« on: January 14, 2008, 19:19:50 »
So, about a year and a half ago, my transmission died in my Mustang.  I had it fixed...and a year later, it died again (automatic.)  So, rather than replacing it for a second time, I bought a 4x4 Jimmy. 

Recently it started acting up with shifting...it was diagnosed as a bent clutch fork and a bad pressure plate (manual.)  So, ok...a clutch set...fine. 

Today...got all of the parts...got the garage all heated up...had a few friends come over...bought pizza and beer.  We rolled underneath the car...and right as I happened to start taking the exhaust off to get to the transmission, I noticed something.......

My bellhousing was cracked...all the way around...so, basically, my transmission was separating from my engine.  How lovely is that.  So, yeah...I now have two POS transmission-dead cars.   :banghead :banghead :banghead

slandis3

Re: Bad Day for Nikki
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 19:27:40 »
Sorry to hear about that. On the bright side, parts should be a dime a dozen for the Jimmy.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 19:30:54 »
Still...putting in a transmission from a junk yard scares me.  A reman one with my discount is still about a grand.  Uggggggh.  I am really starting to hate cars...I can't ever get to enjoy them.

slandis3

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 19:46:05 »
You could take it some where and have them weld the housing. It might get you buy for a while. Look in the trading post. There may be someone parting out a jimmy or have some parts for it.

Offline verper

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 20:19:55 »
Ugh!

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 20:31:54 »
What engine do you have (ltr.) and what transmission? What year Blazer? I think that every RWD manual transmission vehicle I have owned, the bell house & tranny were two separate parts.  If the bell housing is the only thing cracked, and it unbolts from the transmission, it should be very cheap.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 20:39:47 by Joel »

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 22:15:47 »
1991 GMC S15 Jimmy 4x4 4.3L V6 with a 5spd manual transmission.

The bellhousing and transmission are all one piece, so it's not that simple, unfortunately.  I would take it in to be welded, but apparently it's already been welded once before...and broke again.  I'm guessing that the internals of the tranny are probably bad...just my luck.

I think I'm just going to sell it up front...and just eat the money I've put into it.  I'm going to carpool and bike from now on.  I'm done with cars until I graduate.  No point in buying another POS. 

Such a yucky day.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 22:37:45 »
A cracked case sometimes means that there was excessive engine flex, IE, the motor mounts are shot or loose. I broke a transmission case installing a solid tail shaft bushing with rubber motor mounts once. Your correct that this one is a 1 piece case but it is a cheap one to buy. There is a guy in the trading post that has one for sale for $250.00 if your interested (845-1019) If the rest of the truck is decent I'd fix it. If not, what you want for it?

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 22:49:16 »
I just don't feel like taking the guts out of it and putting it in a new case...then still replacing the clutch and everything else.  I might reconsider it...this just happened a couple of hours ago, so it still hasn't sunk in yet...I'm just very flustered.

The rest of the truck is awesome (I think) minus the body.  It has new brakes all the way around, a new alternator, battery (a really nice 3yr/84mo 800 CCA one), a new 4WD actuator, new U-joints, new ball joints, new window hatch lift supports, new fuel filter, just did an oil change, K&N air filter, new ignition module, and the stock set of rims/tires 50% tread, as well as a set of rims - 13.5 x 15 (originally had 31x13.5x15 Super Swampers on it, but they're pretty much dry-rotted.)  The body is pretty rusty, mostly around the tirewells, but for its year, it's expected.  The interior is decent for a truck that old.  No radio.  250k mileage.

I have no idea how much the thing is worth considering its condition.  I know I could never get out of it what I put into it.  Haven't really thought about it to be honest.  (And considering this is only my 2nd car, I don't know good numbers for cars anyway.) 

If you or anyone is interested, let me know...I am not selling quite yet, but there's always a price for everything. 

I think I'll sleep well tonight after all of this.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 07:33:34 »
that's a tough call. I agree it's hard to get out of a car / truck what you have in it so by that thought it would be smart to fix it but.....what is going to go wrong next is always my fear. I have had some cars that I spent money on every few months that quickly became a pain in the ass and not worth the $$  or aggravation. If it's mechanically other wise sound and you trust the engine, transfer case and diffs, I'd fix it. It's a labor intensive job but fairly easy to do. It could be done in a week end especially if you had a couple extra bodies helping (I'm not volunteering here)

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 15:11:23 »
I wouldn't worry about a junkyard tranny. If you go to a reputable yard it should not be a problem Nikki. I bought a junkyard tranny and put into my Buick with no problem to mention. Just make sure to change the filter, and pan gasket to start. Sorry to hear about your bad luck with cars, we have all been there. I would definitly fix it though. How much does a yard want for a trans for your Jimmy as apposed to your Mustang?

slandis3

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 16:42:01 »
I would advise against a use mustang tranny. The reason is, they are not built very well and people abuse them. The jimmy on the other hand, i would get one from a junkyard. Also finding a used aod ford tranny is getting harder and harder. Ford no longer makes them. Also they didn't make as many of them as the Chevy auto's.

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 22:09:47 »
I have a very good friend that is a manager at Salvage yard. I am confident I could get you a great price just let me know. Joe can vouch for the deals I get from him for me or joe or my friends. I take care of his room needs. I would rather not say what yard over the site but if you are interested I will give you the name via pm.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio
500 Reef with 320 gallon sump setup

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 22:06:15 »
I have some bad news. The 5 speed tranny for your blazer only fits years from 90-94. Although the blazer was common the tranny is not. $500 for a good used one low miles.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio
500 Reef with 320 gallon sump setup