2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Lighting  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Ohioreefjr

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Lighting
« on: September 29, 2020, 21:10:59 »
I’m looking to find what lighting everyone is having success with in their tanks. I purchased a used 150 Gallon system, and the ocean revives that are with it don’t work. One is burnt out completely, and the other two are on the verge of it, so I’m looking to get new lights by the end of my cycle. I’m looking for a good balance between good coral growth and affordability. Any suggestions would be helpful!

Offline Ohioreefjr

• Juvenile
Re: Lighting
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 14:29:35 »
https://www.marinedepot.com/current-usa-orbit-marine-led-aquarium-light

Does anyone know anything about these? Are they good for coral growth?

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 14:57:57 »
i am using current lights
there are different set ups. bluetooth version on my 75 gal and the IR version that you are linked to on my 30 gal bowfront.
the lights are programmable and bright enough for LPS and soft corals definitely suitable for FOWLR set ups. there are two generations of LED's i have the round ones, later gen,  the system allows control of pumps,
they are better than the lights that come with marineland tanks, good luck with your selection

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 16:05:38 »
What’s the dimensions of your 150gal? Is it a 6ft long tank? If so, I’d almost go with 3 brand new ocean revives, they are pretty good lights for the money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 20:50:37 »
https://www.marinedepot.com/current-usa-orbit-marine-led-aquarium-light

Does anyone know anything about these? Are they good for coral growth?

Great fish only lights with a lot of fun features but I highly recommend against using them in a reef. They are just very low powered for growing coral at only about 10w per foot.

Offline Brians937

• Fry
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 20:53:43 »
I'm using aquaray leds. 5year warranty was the big deciding factor for me. They look great and priced reasonably compared to other big names. No issue growing corals and they make several temperatures to get the color you want. You can use with or without a controller. The controller is neat, storm modes, clouds, moon mode and ramping.

Offline Ohioreefjr

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 22:39:21 »
I'm using aquaray leds. 5year warranty was the big deciding factor for me. They look great and priced reasonably compared to other big names. No issue growing corals and they make several temperatures to get the color you want. You can use with or without a controller. The controller is neat, storm modes, clouds, moon mode and ramping.

Do you happen to have a link I could check them out at?

Great fish only lights with a lot of fun features but I highly recommend against using them in a reef. They are just very low powered for growing coral at only about 10w per foot.

Thanks for the info. I for sure want corals. Not necessarily sps, but corals none the less

Offline Ohioreefjr

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 22:40:19 »
What’s the dimensions of your 150gal? Is it a 6ft long tank? If so, I’d almost go with 3 brand new ocean revives, they are pretty good lights for the money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My old lights are ocean revives. I’ve just read some horror stories about the cooling fans going bad frequently