2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Zoas dieing please help!  (Read 2181 times)

Offline kenneking

• Fry
Zoas dieing please help!
« on: September 28, 2011, 17:10:51 »
I had a frag of fire and ice and they seem like they ere melting this is in a pico and it is full of what i thought were pods could it be something else that is bad?

here is a pic if it helps

most of my other zoas are fine there is a few different single zoas melting like this

Offline The WuSue

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Zoas dieing please help!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 19:36:56 »
They aren't melting, that's what they do when the aren't happy... What are your tank parameters and how much flow do you have in your tank?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 00:40:41 »
I am afraid the prognosis is not good. I would get them out of the tank if you have other zoa's in there. I have seen it before and my personal experience is it will spread. It is some kind of bacterial or viral infection likely. If you search on it you may find some that have had luck with Furan 2 or Erythromycin for something called zoa pox however this pinched stem issue or melting issue that some call it is almost always fatal. You may also see some threads about dosing Vitamin C to the tank. If you decide to treat let us know how it goes. To research google Zoa pinched stem

Offline corrod

• Fry
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 13:52:13 »
I went a year or so and could not keep zoos to save my life.  Gave up for about 6 month and tried again, mow I grow them like weeds.  Virus or bacteria in the water, I think its like ick, take away the host for a while and the virus goes away.  Just my idea.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 23:01:42 »
I think you are on to something corrod. Hopefully someone will find out how to treat it someday. kenneking did you have any luck with them?

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 09:39:47 »
Interesting topic.  I had zoas in my 90, than one by one, they started to die. Ended up with none.  I don't have any in the 220, would love to get some. Maybe I should try again.

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 10:24:43 »
The only luck I have had with this is to to do a furozone and tetra-cure dip. I dip them 3 days in a row for about 10 min. and then place them in my sump under very heavy flow.Let them rest for a day and repeat if necessary. The success rate isn't great but it is much better than when I just left them alone.
 1/2 cc of tetra-cure and 1/4 teaspoon of furozone or furozone green in 4 gallons of water.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 10:33:00 »
Should we dip all zoas before putting them in our tanks? 

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 11:30:43 »
Yes I would dip them in Coral Rx or another ready made coral dip.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 11:45:53 »

Can we say Zoa eating nudibranches?   These guys will take on the color of the zoa, and are very difficult to see. 

http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=10452.msg70984#msg70984

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 11:53:46 »
Cute little critter.  When I had my zoas, I was just starting out with saltwater.  Didn't know about dipping and pretty much anyything else that has to do with keeping a saltwater tank.  Just went by what the guy said at Petland .... lol   He made it sound so easy.  ha ha 

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 12:14:50 »

YES, Yes, and yes LOL  ALWAYS DIP your Zoas (and most other corals for that matter). I use Revive (coral rx is good as well, just more expensive).

When I have had the problem that kenneking is having I use a dip treatment using Furan 2 ( an anti-fungal) that has worked for me in the past. Its not a sure cure but I have had success with it.
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 12:55:21 »
I bought some zoas off someone and they gave me a bottle of Melifix Marine and said to dip them in that.  That was before I lost them all.  But, before the Melifix dip on those that he sold me, I didn't dip anything.  I haven't bought any corals since than.