2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Bubble Tip Anemone question  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Bigtom802l

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Fry
Bubble Tip Anemone question
« on: June 09, 2013, 23:10:40 »
I got a bubble tip anemone a few weeks back and it was doing well.  It was about a inch in diameter at the foot when i got it.  This anemone never liked being out in direct light and found a rock it likes.  It has been stationary now for a few weeks and my maroon clown has taken a liking to the anemone and i would call them paired up now.  My clown fish is bigger then the anemone and i am wondering if the clown is beating up on the anemone.  I am attaching a picture of what the anemone looks like now (the picture was taken at 4PM).  As for my water chemistry levels my ammonia is at 0 and nitrates are at 2.  My nitrates had been floating around 0.2 for weeks but in the last week or so it has moved up to 2.  Not sure why but i am figuring that out.  Is there anything i can do to help my anemone out.  It opens up at night but is closed during the day and its tentacles are really short and sparse.  It extends out during the night and retracts at night.  not sure what to do and any help would be appreciated.  Thanks Tom

Offline Bigtom802l

• Fry
Re: Bubble Tip Anemone question
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 23:11:33 »
picture

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 23:37:50 »
Mine does this from time to time but does open up during the day but not always. A small water change may be in order to help bring down your nitrate. I had a terrible time with it in my tank for awhile. I added a small in-tank refugium with cheato and that seems to have made a huge difference.
Brent McCloskey

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 00:06:30 »
Just takes time when a nem is being hosted. It may just be a little scared at first.

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 19:24:31 »
Tom
 How is your alkalinity?  If low that will cause a nem to recede

Offline Bigtom802l

• Fry
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 22:30:20 »
I checked my alk and it is 3.9 meq/l or 10.9 dkh which ever way you like to look at it and it is a little on the high side from what I have read.  Do you think if it is high it could also be an issue?