2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: WD grow out..strand comparison  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
WD grow out..strand comparison
« on: October 29, 2019, 22:29:33 »
Comparing my WD that I’ve had for close to a year to one I picked up at RAP Chicago a couple weeks ago.

My original came from Toby who got it from California Corals at MACNA 2016. My new grow out came from PopCorals at RAP Chicago. PopCorals claimed this was the “last of the strand”. Not sure how they can claim that but it’s worth a grow out comparison.

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
Re: WD grow out..strand comparison
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 22:32:24 »
I did a frag cut of my colony to grow out next to my new addition from pop corals. It’s hard to compare an encrusted frag with a base to a fresh cut so in a month or so we should have a better idea of their similarities and differences.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 15:24:52 »
Following

Offline Nbehnken

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 22:54:53 »
Me too

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 18:35:54 »
Not much growth on the new frag yet but the one I got from Toby initially is doing fantastic. Took a top down shot before my water change today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 19:48:12 »
Very nice!

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 20:33:05 »
Brian, very nice top down shot - great looking colony!

Offline Tobe1971

• Juvenile
  • It costs nothing to be honest, loyal and true
    • Robinson Salt Supply, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 21:38:54 »
One of my top 3 favorite acros for sure. @Lazylivin how’s your side by side experiment coming?
I got my first from California Corals at MACNA San Diego as Heinbaugh said and about a year later when that one had grown but was basically all yellow/green I picked up another Frag from Fox in 2017. The them side by side and although Fox’s looked so much better and typical of the strain, they eventually grew together and are now indistinguishable. Lazy got his originally from Big R and it had much more orange in it. He got a mini colony from me a few months back and is testing them side by side.
  The one Heinbaugh is growing out we went in on together on at RAP from pop and the mother colony was insane and looked different than mine or Lazy’s. It’ll be interesting to see if they all are the same and the variations are just due to environmental factors.
   Here’s the mother from Pop’s, Lazy’s, mine, and the rest I did with the CC and JF.

Offline Tobe1971

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 21:39:53 »
Crap. Can’t add photos from my phone. Give me a few

Offline Tobe1971

• Juvenile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 22:18:15 »
very strange. Two different browsers and can't attach photos. What am I missing here?

Figured it out, but I had to go into modify message and THEN it gave me the option to add attachments? weird...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 22:23:33 by Tobe1971 »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 01:58:08 »
In my system the one from Big R is extremely orange skin orange polyps  with pinks, purples and a tiny bit of
 blue on tip. The one from California Corals is mostly green with a small hint of orange and a lot of blue on tip. I have had the Big R Walt Disney for two years since 12/1/17. The CC version I purchased from Toby on 9/25/19. So only about 3 months. Since I have had it, it has gotten a bit more yellowish/orange but still maintains a lot of the green. Figure one way to settle it was to put a frag of each on the same plug. 3 things could occur
1.) one coral kills the other. = not the same coral
2.) one grows over the other = not the same coral
3.) they grow together into one coral = same coral

I made the two frags and mounted on same plug 3 weeks back. Here is progression pics. At first it looked like one was growing over the other but now I am not so sure.
The last pic is from Sunday so will just need more time.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 09:53:20 »
I am very interested in this experiment. I am doing my own study on color in my WD as well. Mine appears much like the yellow polyp, green skin and blue tips variety. I really want the oranges and pinks. In the last month I’ve changed out 2 blue plus bulbs with coral plus bulbs. I’ve seen a bit more growth but no color change.

Brian, have you seen any color changes at all in the piece you got 3 months ago?

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 10:00:29 »
I am very interested in this experiment. I am doing my own study on color in my WD as well. Mine appears much like the yellow polyp, green skin and blue tips variety. I really want the oranges and pinks. In the last month I’ve changed out 2 blue plus bulbs with coral plus bulbs. I’ve seen a bit more growth but no color change.

Brian, have you seen any color changes at all in the piece you got 3 months ago?

I haven’t had it in an very good location until a couple weeks ago when I cleared out some space. It’s encrusting but too early to say what it will end up looking like.

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2019, 20:38:50 »
My pop coral frag. Not pulling any orange color from it but it’s encrusting nice and should start sprouting branches soon.